Friday, May 31, 2013

Rock and Roll Hall Fame

Well at long last Rush was elected into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  While I am not what you would call a huge Rush guy, I do believe they more than belong.  I have a lot of issues with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  I love the concept but sometimes think the execution is lacking.  With that said, here are ten acts in no particular order that should be included in my humble opinion.
1. Stevie Ray Vaughn – How he is not in yet is beyond me.  Someone please give me a valid reason because I cannot find one.   
2. Chicago – Early Chicago is some of the most underrated music you will ever listen to.  Yes, they turned into a glorified wedding band after Terry Kath died but what they did early on more then makes them electable. 
3. Kiss – Let me flat out state I am not a Kiss fan in any way shape or form.  But, you have to respect their following.  And for that alone they belong.
4. Three Dog Night – They put a staggering number of hits out in the early 70’s.  Sure, they really didn’t write their own songs and did a lot of covers.  But each song they did they made their own.
5. Yes – Another band I am not a huge fan of.  But, for musicianship alone they belong.  Progressive rock bands have had a hard time getting elected.
6. The Cars – They were what they were.  A band that wasn’t great but knew how to make pop-rock  radio friendly records.  I dare you to listen to My Best Friend’s Girl and not sing along. I resisted them for years but found a soft spot for them later in life.
7. Peter Gabriel – I could not believe he was not in. I had to recheck it.  Seriously, there are very few musical geniuses walking around in this here world but Peter Gabriel is one of them. A glaring omission.
8. Warren Zevon – I love Randy Newman as much as the next guy but the fact he got in ahead of Zevon is criminal.
9. Devo – Devo was doing some experimental things in the early 80’s and put out some different sounding records beyond Whip It.
10. NWA – They pioneered gangsta rap. Look where it went after they got in the game.  They weren’t around long but even with the small sample size, what they started should get them in.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home