Monday, September 29, 2008

Instrumental

I love a good instrumental. Here are my 10 favorite instrumental jams.

Green Onions Booker, T. and the MG’s – Still my favorite. The MG’s were just a kick ass backing band that were filled with a number of great studio musicians. Many of the MG’s went on to play in the Blues Brothers band.


Fire on Ice, ELO – I am an ELO fan. Jeff Lynne, the forgotten member of the Traveling Wilbury’s is an underrated musician and song writer. Fire on ice is simply a jam.


Sparks, The Who – Well, come on now, anyone who knows me knows I have to include this one. I am a Tommy junkie and this is just an amazing song.


Scuttle Buttin, Stevie Ray Vaughn – Poor Stevie Ray. What an amazing guitar player. I could have picked a couple of other from Vaughn but to me this is where he is at his guitar playing best.


Jessica, The Allman Brothers – I wrote about my love for this one a couple of weeks back. Dickie Betts smokes on this one.


Pick up the Pieces, Average White Band – I am a sucker for a good horn section and AWB had that. Can’t hear it without taping a toe.


Pipeline, Dick Dale – I had to include one surf guitar song, and pipeline is my favorite. Dick Dale is the king of surf guitar and thanks to Quentin Tarintino had a bit of resurgence in popularity in the mid 90’s.


Hocus Pocus, Focus – The long ranging debate about weather this is an instrumental aside, this is a rock and roll classic.


Rebel Rouser, Duane Eddy – With his twangy guitar riffs, kick ass drumbeat and killer horns this is a forgotten classic. Trust me give it a whirl.


Rockit, Herbie Hancock – Had to include one lame 80’s song. A great video as well by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home