Thursday, August 20, 2009

Nick's Top 10 Guitar Players

Thinking about music lately and the other day, I was trying to enlighten my wife on certain musicians and why they are great and why others suck. (in my humble opinion, like Neil Young great Dave Matthews shit merchant.) Anyway, with that in mind, I am going to list my ten favorite guitar players today, followed by posts of my favorite drummers, bass players and vocalists.

These lists are not based on who is the most musically talented. They are my personal favorites for whatever reason. This list is highly subjective, and I am sure will differ from others. But, all I can say is to each their own. I will also link to a clip of each person.

10. Jim Heath – Better known as the “Rev” as in the Reverend Horton Heat. I am a sucker for rockabilly. For my money no one can sling it like the Rev. My brother first introduced me to the band and I have been hooked ever since. He isn’t the flashiest guitar player out there but he sure knows how to work that thing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TILDm7WI6k8

9. John Frusciante – Frusciante is currently the guitar player for the Red Hot Chili Peppers. While I agree that the band has taken a huge left turn and is a shell of its former self, I have always respected this guy’s work. He came in and replaced Hillel Slovak (who in his own right was pretty bad ass, but tragically overdosed.) He was all of 19 when he joined the band and fit in like a glove. He and Flea make a hell of a 1-2 punch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFhSC4p9Gk

8. Joe Walsh – The irony of course is my long standing hatred of the Eagles. With that said, I love the Joe Walsh ,James Gang stuff. Walsh kind of gets lost when talking about the guitar greats but, in my mind at least he is one of the most under rated and innovative guys that ever strapped it on. The fact that he is still out there rocking after all these years is somewhat miraculous. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=togmzpeUiXo&feature=related

7. Jimmy Page – I was never a huge Zeppelin guy. I mean I grew up in the suburbs and went to Argo so I absorbed most it through osmosis. Yet, I always had an ambivalent feeling when it came to Led Zeppelin. Maybe because it was so over played and you could not escape them made me look elsewhere. Eventually as I got older I re-examined the band and of course was blown away by Page. Even if Zeppelin is too heavy for some, you can’t not appreciate just how great Page was. There is no denying this guys talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9i2fqxSjTI

6. Andy Summers – I am an obsessive Police fan. What they did in that short amount of time is incredible. Summers was the missing link. He joined the band right before they were about to breakthrough and helped them achieve the heights they achieved. He is not flashy in the least, and never sought the spotlight. He isn’t the fastest guy out there. What he is, is a solid musician who does more with less. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iywBJitCnU

5. Eric Clapton – You can’t list the top 10 guitar players of all time without listing Clapton. Whether it was his time with the Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek and the Domino’s or his solo work the guy is simply one of the greatest to ever pick up an axe. A blues influenced giant, who has lived the life and came out of it on top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djRAF_ph3TQ

4. Terry Kath – Most people wouldn’t put Kath in their top 10 and no one would list him among the greats. I have always maintained that Terry Kath is the most underappreciated guitar player ever. He played in a band that was known for their horn section and was overshadowed by bigger names. However, Hendrix himself upon catching Kath one night, said, “That boy can play.” Tragically most remember him for how he died and not how he lived. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAbdNXx2sE&feature=related

3. Pete Townsend – There are few artists I would put into the musical God category. Pete Townsend is one of them. He created a style that has been copied by millions of wannabes. Let me spare anyone the suspense. Each member of the Who makes my list. They were the perfect band with Townsend as their ringleader. Innovative is not a good enough adjective to describe him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlBip8CV1P8

2. Jimi Hendrix – I think everything that could be written about the greatness of Hendrix has already been written by writers that are much, much more talented than me. What he did with that instrument went beyond music. It was an art form. On top of his amazing ability was his showmanship. He died way before his time and left a legacy that is unmatched. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtFNYApYi7E&feature=related

1. Steve Ray Vaughn – No one and I mean no one’s playing can affect me like Vaughn. His playing came straight from the heart and when you hear it, it hits you right in the gut. A blues master who again tragically died way too soon, and just when he was reaching his peak. Few deaths of famous people have affected me like his did. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuT9Q4VmR4E

Honorable Mention: Eddie Van Halen, Angus Young, Brian May, Carlos Santana, Joe Strummer, and Toni Iommi.


6 Comments:

Blogger Kris C. said...

Hmmm. . .neither my hubby or I have listened to Rev Horton much, but we both love rockabllily and believe that Brian Setzer is a rockabilly guitar God. May have to check RHH out.

Also, I agree with you 100% on Pete and The Who. . .there are many other bands and musicians that I love (many you mentioned), but The Who is at the top of the pedestal for me! Innovative, insightful, talented, exciting, silly, artistic, provocative. . . plus they had pure balls!!!

2:31 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

In many ways, the Who was the greatest rock band ever— the quintessential rock back. Keith Moon is the definition of rock star. So we all agree there. Kris: you and the other KC ought to check out the Rev. He’s goddamn brilliant. Start with this record: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Full_Custom_Gospel_Sounds which is his best.

Oh, and Andy Summers is the most underrated person on your list. Those Police songs are impossible!

I add to your list the following notables:

Paul Leary of the Butthole Surfers
Agata from Melt-Banana
Buzz Osbourne from the Melvins
Eddie Van Halen (I know he was an honorable mention, but I had to give him another shout out)
Django Reinhardt (okay, he’s a jazz guy, but I think he influenced a lot of rock players)
Poison Ivy from the Cramps
Randy Goddamn Rhodes
Mark Knopfler from Dire Straits
Jason Schimmel from Estradasphere (the greatest band you’ve never heard)
Justin Broadrick from Godflesh
Martin Barre from Jethro Tull
Robert Fripp from King Crimson
Marc Ribot (Tom Waits, John Zorn, etc.)
Oleg Gitarkin from Messer Chups (brilliant surf guitarist from Russia)
Steve Cropper from Book T & the MG’s, Otis Redding’s band, The Blues Brothers
And last, but not least, Dorothy Wiggin from The Shaggs

God bless

8:55 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Can not believe I forgot about Randy Rhodes. Also Steve Cropper

12:43 PM  
Blogger Kris C. said...

Thanks Zombie! We'll check that out.

Oooh, yeah. . .Mark Knopfler. . . incredible, yet so underrated!

And I must mention. . Jeff Beck, Dickey Betts, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and Stephen Stills (he is incredible, yet very underrated, and often overshadowed by Mr. Young.)

11:34 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

I forgot one of my favorites: Frank Zappa. The guy could play.

1:24 PM  
Blogger TFATDHQ said...

Good choices - can't go wrong with mr fripp

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home