Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Taste of Nick

I am not a big fan of the taste of Chicago but my wife is so, every year we go and strap on the feedbag. This year was no different. Here is a rundown of what I ate.

Bobak’s, Chicken sausage – After finishing the race to the taste, some of the vendors were offering their healthy choice items to the runners as swag. So I figured what the hell, I dig turkey sausage. I grabbed a small sandwich and I can’t say I was a fan.

Timothy O’Toole’s, Buffalo wings – A pretty good wing. I got the spicy and it wasn’t flaming. Overall, it is meaty and has a nice flavoring.

Abundance Bakery, Upside down caramel cupcake – This was crack. It was so frickin good. The best thing I ate the whole day. My god was this rich and sinful.

Shokolad Pastry and Café, Potato varenyky – This is basically a Ukrainian version of a perogie. I am a fan of the genre and I was not disappointed. I also had a bite of Joyce’s key lime shortbread that she got from here and that was really delicious.

Harold’s Chicken, Chicken and hush puppy – I am a Harold’s fan from my days working at IRI. We would make a Harold’s run to their location on Harrison and damn if it wasn’t good. So, I knew I was getting a good piece of chicken (in which I lathered the sauce right on top of.) Hush puppy was also kick ass.

Lovely, Macaroon – I love macaroons so when I saw that there was a desert station that had some for only 1 ticket I jumped on it. I must say, it was really tasty.

Tutto Italiano, Fried ravioli – They gave 4 ravioli for the taster portion which was huge. They threw some peppers in their marinara but, I like that so it was a win. Wasn’t expecting the spiciness but really dug it.

Star of Siam, Pot stickers - Another place that gave me a big portion for the taster size. I got 4 dumplings. For Thai pot stickers, these may have been the best I have had. They were pork, and the ginger sauce was killer. I may make a trip out there just to get some more.

Oak Street Beach Café, Potato and wingette – It was a boiled red potato which I really liked. The wing was nothing to write home about.

Abbey Pub, Corn on the cob – It is customary that I eat at least one ear of corn on the cob whenever I am at some fair or festival. It is my thing. I was walking and I saw the Abbey Pub had corn so, I grabbed one. It is really difficult to mess up corn on the cob and the Abbey almost did. I may have just had a bad one but it wasn’t done enough and was a tad hard.

Guet Lon, Egg roll – I love egg rolls (with the size of my gut I am sure you could have guessed that.) So, I figured what the hell. This egg roll was nothing special. It didn’t suck but in the end I wish I would have saved room for something else.

Dominick’s, Slice of watermelon – After consuming all that food, I felt I needed something to help with digestion. So, I double backed to the Dominick’s station for some fruit. The piece of melon I had was huge and also very good and ripe.

Ricobene’s, Breaded Steak – I am a slave to the Ricobene’s breaded steak. It is the one thing I look forward to at the taste every year. Even though I was stuffed I somehow made room for a breaded steak for my desert which was no small feat.

1 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Anytime you want to go to Star of Siam, let me know. I love that place.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home