Friday, April 23, 2010

Grading the Chicago Brodcast Teams

I watch and listen to a lot of sports (much to my wife’s chagrin.) Here I will give my personal grade to each radio and television broadcast team in Chicago for the four major sports franchises.

Cubs TV
Len Kasper and Bob Brenly : A
Len and Bob are for my money the best duo in Chicago. They work well together and their broadcast is both informative and entertaining. Both have good personalities and that comes across in the booth. Also, Brenly in particular will not sugarcoat his disdain for lackadaisical play. Kasper is a solid play by play man who doesn’t depend on “signature” lines when describing the play. They make watching the Cubs a treat even when the team on the field is crap.

Cubs Radio
Pat Hughes and Ron Santo: B
This is more a grade that Pat Hughes earns. He is basically doing two jobs in the booth as play by play man and then setting up Santo with softball questions to pry some kind of analysis out of him. I like Santo and admire the guy. I also find the Pat and Ron show to be entertaining. However, if you are trying to follow a game it is difficult to make sense out of what Santo is trying to say. So, I get it that some people don’t care for this broadcast. Also, the 5th inning when Jud Sirott comes in to give Pat a break is unlistenable. Sirott has no business trying to be a play by play guy.

White Sox TV
Ken Harrelson and Steve Stone: C-
I used to be Stone’s biggest fan. I was really pissed when the Cubs and Stone parted ways. I still think he got the shaft. With that sad, Stone has become a bitter old man. Maybe it is Hawk rubbing off on him, but Stone in my mind is not the same guy he was all those years with Harry. He knows the game, but has become very arrogant as time has gone on and that comes across on the broadcast. My dislike of Harrelson has been long standing. He has been using the same, lame catch phrases for twenty years and even in 1990 they weren’t that clever. When the Sox are losing he becomes silent. He tells the same stories over and over again every year. He makes watching the broadcast difficult.

White Sox Radio
Ed Farmer and Darrin Jackson: C
I actually like both Farmer and Jackson. The problem is that neither one is a play by play guy. I think they both could be good analysts but are misused trying to describe the action on the field. This tandem is an upgrade over when Singleton was in the booth but it really needs a true color man to set up their perspective. Still, like I said I like both guys so it is hard to rip them too much.

Bears Radio
Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer: B+
These two have gotten better over time. Joniak has really improved as the years have gone on. The first season he did the Bear games made you really miss Wayne Larivee. But, he has gotten a lot better and sets up the play on the field really well. Thayer, I feel gives a really good analysis from the perspective of a former player. He doesn’t talk down to the listener but still simplifies it enough so, that your average Joe can understand what he is talking about. At times they can get a tad over-critical (in particular Thayer) but, all in all a solid team.

Blackhawks TV
Pat Foley and Ed Olczyk: A
Pat Foley has long been a favorite of mine. I grew up listening to Hawk games on the radio as a kid. He paints a beautiful picture and I actually think he was better on radio then he is on TV. Not that he is bad on the tube. Olczyk is one of the best in any sport as an analyst. He really has a gift being able to explain the action and if you listen to him as a novice hockey fan you can learn a lot about the game. Together they work perfectly. When Steve Konroyd fills in for Olczyk when he is on NBC, the broadcast isn’t bad but not the usual well oiled machine it is with Pat and Ed.

Blackhawks Radio
John Wideman and Troy Murray: B
This tandem is pretty solid. Murray as an ex-player is very good at analyzing the action on the ice. Wideman has grown on me over the years. He still gets a tad too excited for every shot on net, but overall he is solid. Together they work very well together and make the game exciting.

Bulls TV
Neil Funk and Stacey King: A-
I don’t watch a ton of Bulls games. But as they were trying to make the playoffs, I tuned in and must say, both Funk and King are enjoyable. Neil Funk has been doing the Bulls games for awhile now and is really good at describing the action on the court. Stacey King has surprised me. He is very personable and adds a lot to the broadcast. He may be a tad rough around the edges but it works. A solid team.

Bulls Radio
Chuck Swirsky and Bill Wennington: B
I don’t listen to a ton of Bulls games either. Knowing I was going to write this, I put them on the radio on Saturday. Wennington is really good at breaking down the game and adding his two cents. I remember Swirsky from his days way back at WGN. I was never really a huge fan. However, I must admit he seems to have found his niche in calling basketball. Voice is still a tad grating, but does call a good game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home