Thursday, October 06, 2005

Strike Another Blow For Tyranny

This is written from the perspective of a non-smoker. While I have many bad habits smoking is not one of them. As soon as next month, Chicago will more than likely join New York and Los Angels by banning smoking in bars and restaurants. This is just another example of how our civil liberties continue to get trampled on and no one seems to give a shit any more.

You see we live in a country where if you want to smoke something that causes cancer you are allowed. Just like you can drink alcohol, eat big macs, and listen to Bon Jovi. It is your right to do that. Sadly, the anti-smoking brigade has brain washed society into believing that it is in our best interests to curb smoking due to second hand smoke. It is all bullshit.

Again, study after study has shown absolutely NO EVIDENCE linking second hand smoke to asthma, cancer or the blue flu. You never hear this because all we hear is how bad second hand smoke is for you. Instead of eating up bullshit why not look up the facts yourself. Unlike the lazy politicians, I have looked up the facts and no one has ever been bale to link second hand smoke to anything. As a matter of fact studies have shown the exact opposite, that it really causes no undue harm.

In America we have the freedom of choice. I say let the individual restaurant or bar owners make a decision for themselves as to whether to allow smoking. As a patron I than can make a choice to frequent an establishment based on their smoking policy if I want to. I realize when I go into a bar that yes, people in bars smoke. So, I have to deal with it. I don’t need to be a pussy and whine about the smoke bothering my eyes. Again, if you don’t like smoke than find a place that is smoke free.

If there is such a huge demand for smoke free bars than they will spring up. We do not need the government (remember this is a Democrat writing this) legislating bars and restaurants to ban smoking. You can pass all the laws you want, smokers are going to smoke. It is their right and no matter how much you don’t like it you can’t stop them. I certainly don’t like when people bitch at me about eating an occasional pizza or when a vegetarian starts giving me shit about eating meat. As a non-smoker you have no right to bitch about a smokers choice to smoke. They know it is bad for them, they know they should quit, but they don’t want to. It is their lungs and I will again emphasize this, second hand smoke posses no health risk to you.

The last argument I will hear is that “Well, my child has asthma and he can’t be around smoke.” Well, than don’t put him in situations you know their will be smoke. If I am allergic to strawberries, than I don’t eat them. I don’t make society ban the sale of the fruit because of my condition. Again, if the demand for non-smoking establishments becomes viable than you will start to see them become more popular. So, I urge my great city to wake up and stop buying into the bullshit that is the non-smoking brigade. I don’t want big brother telling me what I can and cannot do. I want to be able to smoke, fart, eat, and shit when I want. Isn’t that what freedom of choice is all about?

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

If this happens, I will quit for good. I only like smoking in bars and restaurants. I can’t fathom going to a bar and not encountering smoke. It just doesn’t seem right.

I don’t eat meat and I don’t preach about it. I think it’s wrong so I don’t, but if other do… well, I can’t stop them and I have no right to tell them to stop. Screw it, it’s your choice. Ditto smoking.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Columbus' smoking ban went into effect in January.........no restaurants, bars, bowling alleys....absolutley no public facility. Even private business cannot designate smoking rooms for their employees.

Restauant business has increased by 6%.....don't know about bars but the ban has had a positive effect on resaurants.

I think cigarettes should be illegal....maybe then I would quit. Or I might become like a crack addict looking for a fix. I wish I never started smoking and I am down to half a pack a day but man it is hard to stop.

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home