Thursday, September 22, 2005

It's The Time Of The Seaon

Yesterday was the first official day of autumn. Which to me is good news but I understand why it brings a touch of sadness to most. For whatever reason I’ve always lived the Fall. It is by far my favorite season. I have many reasons for this.

First off, for some reason I love the weather. It is not to cold and not to warm. It’s usually in the fifties, which is just where I like it. The leaves turn a beautiful color of bright orange and yellow’s, which is quite breathtaking. Also it allows the use of windbreakers. I am a fan of the windbreaker and jean jacket. Yes, I still have a jean jacket and even though my wife hates when I wear it I do break it out from time to time.

Also, you have both Halloween and Thanksgiving in the autumn. Halloween has always been a favorite holiday of mine. I am a fan of the candy corn but the whole haunted house thing is yet another reason. Back in the day I worked the Bridgeview Haunted House on 89th and Harlem. I was a guide, which meant I walked from room to room why scared fifteen-year-old girls clutched my hand for support. It was wicked.

Thanksgiving is also a favorite holiday of mine. The tradition of turkey, football, beer, pumpkin pie and farts always puts a smile on my face. I’ve had a lot of memorable Turkey Day’s but 1980 might still go sown as my favorite. The Bears were playing the Lions and for three quarters they were getting their ass kicked. All of the sudden they made a massive comeback and tied the game with no time on the clock. The won the toss, and proceeded to return the kick for a touchdown to win. All the men (sans my non-football fan brother) went nuts. I can still remember it like it was yesterday.

On top of all of that, a lot of good things in my life have happened in the fall. I won’t get into all of them but once I feel that first crispness in the air it always gets me nostalgic for times in my life when things were easier. Times when my biggest worry was making sure I had enough gas in the tank to get to Moraine the next day. I also talked my wife into picking November for our wedding. As someone who never had anything personal to celebrate in the fall, I think it is really cool to have a aniversary I can celebrate in my favorite season.

So, as we get ready to brace for the long big bad winter take some time to enjoy the fall, particularly if you live in the Midwest. Trust me it really does get picturesque around here and those dolts that all escaped to Arizona just don’t appreciate. To them, I say enjoy your 100 degree November mornings. Oh, that’s right it’s a dry heat.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fall is great. I love it for many of the reasons you state. However, winter is my number one season. I just love when it gets dark at 5:30 in the afternoon...........but fall is really cool.....especially the leaves.

6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home