Friday, January 05, 2007

Nick's Playoff Picks

As I have proven with a 9th place finish in my fantasy football league, this sport is not my expertise. Nonetheless, I will still boldly make some predictions on the football playoffs. The only prediction I 100% stand by is that I will get inebriated at the many football parties I will be attending.

NFC

First Round

Seattle over Dallas – I really don’t like either team but someone has to win so I go with the home team. Seattle can still run the ball and if I am Holmgren I get Alexander like 40 carries and win a close game controlling the clock.

Philadelphia over New York – The Giants are truly lucky to even be in the playoffs. The Eagles are on a five game winning streak and are playing the best of any team in the NFC going in. Andy Reid and the Eagles, as long as they can contain Tiki Barber should win this one rather easily.

Second Round

Chicago over Seattle – Yes, I am a Bears fan. But, that does not mean I have any faith in them. Still Seattle is weak and can be beaten. The Bears peaked in October but should have enough to get by an injury riddled Seahawk team. They should do enough to win a close one.

New Orleans over Philadelphia – To me this pits the two best teams in the NFC against each other. The Saints are the feel good story of the year and will be a tough out at home in the dome. Still, the Eagles will give them a game. In the end I just have a feeling that the Saint offense is a little to explosive for the Eagles and they win a squeaker.

NFC Championship

New Orleans over Chicago – The Saints will march to their first Superbowl appearance by beating the Bears in Chicago. My heart says the Bears but my head says the Saints can win this one with their high powered O against the suddenly porous Bears D.

AFC

First Round

New England over New York – The Jets are a good story in that no one expected them to be in the playoffs. This is an interesting match-up in that the Jets were able to beat the Pat’s in Foxboro earlier in the year. Still, never bet against Brady in the post season. New England at home finds a way to win this one.

Kansas City over Indianapolis – The Colts have a great offense but it has been proven over and over in the playoffs, that Defense wins. The Colts D is pathetic and KC with Larry Johnson running the ball should have a filed day. The key for Indy is to get a big lead early and make KC throw the rock. I don’t see it happening and the Chiefs find a way to win this one.

Second Round

New England over BaltimoreI love the job the Ravens have done in getting to this point. Still, the Pat’s in January find ways to win. I don’t like the Ravens offense and I think Brady will find a way to score enough points to pull the upset.

San Diego over Kansas City – On paper this is a rout but KC is one of only two teams to have beaten the Chargers. Still, San Diego will find way to get this one. LT is having a monster year and that D can stop anybody. KC is way too one dimensional to pull this upset.

AFC Championship

San Diego over New EnglandThis figures to be a great game. Normally in a playoff matchup pitting Martyball vs. Belicheck I would take the man with the 3 rings. But, something tells me that San Diego which is a much better team on paper finds a way to win this one. I just don’t see the Patriots being able to stop the Charger offense. Never underestimate Brady, but he will need some help from the D and I am not sure he is going to get it.

SuperBowl

San Diego over New Orleans – In what might be one of the highest scoring SuperBowls ever San Diego has way too much firepower for the Saints. Still it will have been a hell of a year for New Orleans but this would be a tall order to beat the Chargers. They have been the best team all year so, I will go with San Diego winning their first championship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home