Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Eat This!

My brother did this last year so, I am going to steal his idea. I admit that I am basically a meat and potatoes guy so with that said, here are the best meals I have eaten out at restaurants this year in no particular order.

Gnocchi in Vodka Sauce at Rosebud’s – I had been to a couple of the Rosebud locations located throughout the area and had never been impressed. Then I went to the O.G. location in Little Italy and realized what the fuss was all about. I eat a lot of pasta and for my money this place is the best of them all. It takes a lot to move me when it comes to Italian food but this place does it for me.

Steak Burrito at El Farol – OK, I admit that placing a burrito on a best meals list may seem a little unusual, but to me this was one of the best things I ate this past year. I used to be an El Farol guy back in the day. Then sometime along the way, I moved on and became an El Famous fan. I hadn’t been to El Farol in forever then one day I just decided to go back for nostalgia purposes. I was floored with how good it was. I have had a lot of burritos in my life and this is simply one of the best.

Orange Chicken at Hong Min – I like Orange Chicken. Sadly, most places that I order it, don’t know how to make it. My wife and I disagree on Hong Min. I think it is one of the best places to eat Chinese that I have been to. As an Orange Chicken devotee let me tell you this is one of the best I have ever had. The chicken is all white meat and their orange sauce is to die for.

Deep Dish Cheese and Sausage at Lou Malnotti’s – I was always a Gino’s East guy. While their pie is still good, Lou’s has simply over-taken them. Their butter crust that they offer, has become my favorite. Just the right amount of sauce, cheese and sausage. I could go on and on about this pizza. Thankfully there isn’t one that close to me or I would have to buy bigger pants.

Breaded Pork Cutlet at Szoraka’s – I like Polish food. I have been to a lot of the popular places such as Bobeck’s. While I don’t dislike those places, Szoraka’s in Justice despite its outward appearance serves some of the best food you will ever eat. Their breaded Pork Cutlet with the red potatoes and sauerkraut on the side is fricken out of this world. I know the place looks like kind of shady but, trust me the food rocks.

Perry’s Favorite at Perry’s Deli – All I can say is if you eat meat and don’t like Perry’s deli there is something wrong with you. Perry’s favorite is corned beef on rye with coleslaw, pepper jack cheese and Russian dressing on it. This thing is a monster and for my money there is no better sandwich on the planet. I will go down on this thing like Linda Lovelace on Harry Reams.

Chicken Kabobs and Dill Rice at Reza – There is a good argument between which Mediterranean restaurant is better on Clark, Reza or Andie’s. Since I am a meat eater I like Reza a little better. I could eat the dill rice alone as a meal though.

Beef Sandwich at Duke’s Beef – For my simple tastes nothing compares to my overall happiness like a Duke’s beef. I have consumed hundreds of them over the years and they still can’t be beat. Just juicy enough with just the right spices, if I am ever on death row this will be my last meal.

Cheeseburger and Strawberry Shake at Top Notch – Cheeseburgers are a dime a dozen. You can get one almost anywhere. For my money the best one I have ever had is at Top Notch on 95th St. in Oak Lawn. They cut their own potatoes and ground their own beef. As good as that is, the meal is not complete unless you compliment it with a shake. I am a strawberry fan but their chocolate is just as good. I need a towel to wipe up after eating there because I usually have reached climax.

Fried Chicken, Coleslaw and Corn Fritters at White Fence Farm – I should hate this place because it is owned by the Hastert family, but I can’t because their chicken is just too good. I have to put my political issues aside and feast on their wonderful bird. As good as the chicken is I could make a meal out of the fritters and slaw alone if I had to. The coleslaw is nice and vinegary. Those fritters, dusted with powdered sugar are sinful. I know the meal is about as unhealthy as one can get but sometimes you just need to spoil yourself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home