Monday, March 03, 2008

Nick's Top 10 Beatle Records

The Who, the Rolling Stones and the Beatles are the big three British rock bands. (Apologies to the Kinks, who many will argue were, better then each of them.) I will give you each bands top ten songs in Nick’s opinion. I will do the Beatles today and will follow that up with the Stones and Who in the next couple of days. Again this is my two cent opinion. I am sure there will be agreements and disagreements.

1. In My Life – I have always loved this Lennon opus. I liked it so much I convinced my non-Beatle fan wife to use this song as our first dance at our wedding. A really beautiful song from one of my favorite Beatle albums Rubber Soul.

2. A Day in a Life – A groundbreaking song for it’s time. It starts out one way has the break in the middle and then ends with a sing songy little number. A bit of an odd placing on Sergeant Pepper’s but it worked.

3. Octopus Garden – I welcome and expect to get nuked for liking this song so much. I know for a fact my brother hates it. Still, I am a Ringo fan and well, I like this silly little song that places its tongue fairly in its check.

4. The Ballad John and Yoko – Another kind of silly one that I am big fan of. The telling via song of John and Yoko’s famous Bed-In. Released as a single in 1969, this is more of a Lennon single then a Beatles record.

5. Something – George Harrison’s beautiful ballad that appears on Abbey Road. John and Paul pretty much controlled every recording session, with George having to force his songs to get through. Thankfully, George got this one onto Abbey Road.

6. Everybody has Something to Hide Except for Me and My Monkey – I guess you can tell I kind of like the silly Beatles songs. Lennon wrote this one again, about his relationship with Yoko.

7. Michele – Yes, it is sappy as all hell, but I still like it. McCartney basically penned this one as sort of a joke that he would play at parties. Lennon then suggested he make a serious effort at the song and this is what they came up with.

8. Ask Me Why - Probably my favorite of the early Beatles recordings. Released on Please, Please Me and as a “B” side at that, the song is catchy as hell. Just try not getting swept up in it when you hear it.

9. Get Back – My love for this one is, basically based on the rooftop concert. I can not hear it without thinking of that live performance. A catchy little number that was aided by the keyboards of Billy Preston

10. Paperback Writer – Another kind of meaningless silly little throwaway tune that is catchy as hell and filled with hooks. Released as a single this is a McCartney sang and written song.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

Well, you know my opinion of the Fab Four but I did have a favorite in 1965...Penny Lane...guess who I was dating when that song came out? And at least you didn't include Rocky Racoon.

5:07 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

Don't worry, I'll handle the Kinks songs on my page.

8:21 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

I'd also add:

Cry Baby Cry (the best Beatles song)
Glass Onion
Happiness is a Warm Gun
Taxman
Hey Bulldog
Only a Northern Song
I'm Only Sleeping
Rocky Racoon
Revolution 9
I am the Walrus
Mother Nature's Son
Savory Truffle
She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Julia

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home