Monday, October 06, 2008

Wait Til Next Year

I am out of words. I have nothing left. I have no way to explain yet another collapse. I don’t know how or why I allow myself to get this emotionally involved with this team only to have them break your heart. I will say it again, the Cubs are like that girl you went out on ten dates with. You get to third base with her and just when it looks like you are going to get into her pants she leaves you with a case of blue balls.


Of course today, I want to believe that I won’t let myself get into this position again next year. But, I know I am full of shit. Next year I will have the same amount of anticipation. I really can’t believe that we sit here on Oct. 6th and they are already eliminated.


A part of me knows that this team gave me an amazing summer. I went to more games then I can remember and watched almost every game they played. I hung on every pitch. I cheered every comeback and sat on pins and needles with every Kerry Wood save. I know it was all for nothing in the end. I know it will probably be all for nothing next year as well. I don’t care. The Cubs are my first love and I will be faithful for as long as it takes.


Also, they were a great distraction in a summer that I really needed some distractions. For that, this team no matter what happened will hold a place in my heart. The 2008 Cubs were kind of like a Stephen King book. It was a great story up until the last chapter where it all went to shit.


But it was a great ride. Am I pissed that they went out like they did? You can bet your sweet ass I am. I know I am pathetic but come next April, I will be out there again cheering them on like it is life or death. For better or worse I am a Cubs fan. This is my fate. This is my lot in life and the cross I have to bear. I was born with the disease and the only cure is a World Championship. I just hope I get to one day celebrate that achievement. Until then all I can do is keep coming back hoping beyond hope that next year, it finally the year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home