Thursday, August 27, 2009

Nick's Top 10 Drummers

Onto my favorite drummers. Again, this is my list, not necessarily the greatest ever but who I enjoy the most.

10. Mick Fleetwood – I am a Fleetwood Mac fan. I know that is kind of lame in some respects but, damn it I can’t help myself. Mick’s drumming is one of the reasons I am such a fan even going back to the Peter Green days. Mick has always been the backbone and driving force of the band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpVq1hfRmM

9. Bill Bruford – I am not really a huge Yes guy. I have always admired their talent but found their music to be a tad on the boring side. I can however, appreciate what talented musicians they all were. Bill Bruford was the drummer most of the time for Yes. He also did some work with King Crimson. However, it is his work with Yes, that I appreciate the most. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXdn1c-R1kU

8. Alex Van Halen – I know what most people are going to say to me. You kept Eddie off your guitar list and you include Alex on your drummers list that makes no sense. Hear me out. Alex Van Halen, in my mind has always been overshadowed by his brother. The truth is Alex in his own right was a damn good performer who never got the kudos he deserved. Next time you pull out a Van Halen disc instead of focusing on Eddie, listen to Alex kick ass on percussion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJve8dDwfI&feature=related

7. Neil Peart – I have come full circle on Rush. I used to like them back in the 80’s. At some point I grew tired of them and ignored the band for a good 10 years. Then one day, I opened my mind up to them again and re-discovered the power that they were. Peart is the reason for their excellence. I don’t know a drummer who has ever picked up the sticks that wouldn’t include him as an influence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPuOGaoDeIE

6. Ringo Starr – One thing that always pisses me off is when someone says that Ringo was the luckiest guy on earth to go along for the ride that was the Beatles. I so disagree with that statement. Ringo was the best drummer in Liverpool and it was only after he joined, that the Beatles reached their true greatness. Starr, is another of those underappreciated musicians who never in my mind got his due. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9heOFFlAcFY&feature=related

5. Ginger Baker – When you listen to Cream of course you are drawn to Clapton on guitar. But, what Baker was doing on percussion was equally impressive. Baker was the backbone of the one of the best power trio’s ever. Since Cream he has been experimenting with a lot of different sounds and made some interesting music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRqjpuLFXek&feature=related

4. Carl Palmer – I am not a huge music nerd. Meaning, I don’t get into musicians who can play the most precisely or clean so to speak. I find progressive rock extremely boring for the most part. With that said, you would have to be deaf to not appreciate how good Carl Palmer is. ELP is a band that I am not really a fan of. I mean, I can get into a couple of their tunes but I find most of it to be over-produced banality. The only saving grace of the entire band is Palmer who is a master. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQsZOQqO6I

3. John Bonham - You cannot have a list of the greatest drummers of all time without including the rock god, John Bonham. As I stated in my previous post I was never a huge Zeppelin guy. With that said, Bonham was simply one of the greats. Sadly, because I was listening to the Loop throughout most of the 90’s and they overplayed most of their catalog, I don’t jam to them much. When I do I always get blown away by just how great Bonham was. Sadly he was another one that died way too young. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z8kY5q8Gcg

2. Keith Moon – It is so hard not to list Moon number one. My brother summed it up best when he said Moon was the definition of a rock star. He lived life like he played the drums, at warp speed. He was all over the place yet, was as tight as they come. I have said it once and I will say it again, the Who simply was the greatest rock and roll band in history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCNeVHv3Mlg&feature=fvw

1. Stewart Copeland – The fact that I put him ahead of Moon should be all one needs to know about how amazing I think Copeland is. I am a huge Police fan and the reason is simple Stewart Copeland. I mean sure, Sting could write a great song and Andy Summers (as I have noted) is a tremendous guitar player. But, it is Copeland who is the rock. He saves every Police song. I am so glad that I at long last got to see him live. He is truly an amazing artist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G2LtPvPemw

Honorable Mention: Max Weinberg, Dave Grohl, Lars Ulrich, and Buddy Rich

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Bruford’s work on the last of King Crimson’s 70s records, Red, is fantastic. Red is a great, great record, one of my favorites. It’s the kind of prog rock that has some balls. I like Yes—I was a big fan back in the 80s—but I can’t always listen to them either. I can always listen to King Crimson.

Copeland is my number one as well, though Moon is up there. My other nominations would be Dale Crover from the Melvins, who is the greatest rock drummer since Copeland and Moon, and Dave Lombardo from Slayer and Fantomas. Then there’s Danny Heifetz from Mr. Bungle and Mitch Mitchell from the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Otherwise, I could list Max Roach and Philly Joe Jones and some jazz cats.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Kathryn said...

Your #1 drummer has a memoir coming out in the beginning of October, and it's a really interesting read! The Police, Polo, and Pygmies...

More info on the book can be found here: http://theharperstudiobooks.com/strange-things-happen/

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home