Sunday, May 01, 2011

Blogs

Writing a blog is so 2005. No one writes blogs anymore with the popularity of social media. At least that is what Ryan from the Office says. From what I can tell he is right. I started this old blog in 2004. And for a few years there I was vigilant in updating it. I would crank out two to three posts a week. It seemed like I always something to bitch about or comment on.

Then at a certain point I started thinking to myself whats the point? I don't get paid for posting on it and it was becoming something of a chore. Where it at one time I would have tons to say it got to the point were I was forcing myself to come up with stuff and truth be told, not that I was ever a great writer but my mediocre posts were becoming the norm.

So, at a certain point I started to slack off. Weeks would go by without any update. Of course this coincided with me joining Facebook. Facebook takes a lot of grief from those who knee jerkly hate it. And, I kind of get it. Yes, it is self serving, and a time suck, and in the end who really gives a shit if I post that I am eating at White Castle? But, I also think it serves a purpose as well. It is a useful tool in catching up with friends that as time goes by you inevitability lose contact with. What everyone who rips on FB tends to ignore is that you don't have to be friends on the site with anyone you don't want to be. You can block people and if you are even remotely computer literate you can adjust your security settings pretty easily.

But, the one negative of Facebook and Twitter as well, is the 140 character status update. Now anyone who knows how to type can sloppily craft two sentences together and boom your done. Writing a blog that is coherent takes time and even in the worst cases (and trust me I know I am no writer) some talent. I found I was in a much more creative place when I posted on it and now I have gotten very lazy. Well, no more.

Last month on Facebook, I found myself taking the 30 day music challenge. Each day I had to think of a song based on the rules provided. Being a fan of music, I found this little exercise to be fun. It also in a very small way got my writing juices flowing in again. (Not sure how, but it did.) So, in that vein I am going to force myself to update this blog daily for the month of May. It won't be easy and some days I am sure I won't have much to say. It may ramble at times and may at times seem quite boring to anyone other then myself and maybe Joyce.

But, I am going to power through because I miss this old blog here. It has stood mostly dormant the last few years and I say enough with that. Who knows what will come out. It will be a challenge (and if you don't think so, try it yourself, trust me it is difficult coming up with something to write daily) but, one I am looking forward to.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have not started a blog, but I completely agree with you points. One thing to add is that people apparently make some pretty good cash on their blogs.

http://entrepreneurs.about.com/b/2008/04/08/how-much-money-can-you-make-blogging.htm

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home