Thursday, November 03, 2011

Nick's Top 10 Vocalists

Awhile back I did a list of my favorite guitarists, bass players and drummers. I had every intention of including my top ten vocalists as well but never got around to it. Eventually it got to the point I completely forgot about it. Well, here at long last is my list. Again, these are my picks and no one has to agree or disagree with it. As they say live and let live.

10. Warren Zevon – I know most would say he doesn’t have a great singing voice. I think that should be amended to he doesn’t have a traditional voice. I prefer singing that is a tad rough around the edges. I find something beautiful in that. Zevon, was downright heroic in death and made some of the saddest yet inspiring music ever right before he died. Still, even before that I was a fan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5puAN1PGQw

9. Bob Dylan – Of all the names on this list I expect to get the most shit for including Dylan. And I admit his is a very unconventional voice that you have to kind of grow to love. Most will say he was a great song writer but can’t sing. To that I call bullshit. Again, the guy isn’t going to win America Idol but the uniqueness in his singing is what I cling to. And trust me after awhile you start to crave it. So go and listen to Mariah Carey and her perfect octave. I will take Bob any day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwSZvHqf9qM&ob=av3e

8. Bruce Springsteen – I get why a lot of people have given up on Bruce. I mean for the last 25 years for the most part he has put out mostly shit. But, there was a time back in the late 70’s and early 80’s that Springsteen was making some of the best music in rock and roll with lyrics that were poetry. I love the New Jersey accent that he can’t hide in his singing. At one time a true craftsman that eventually sold out and made Born in the USA. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4JfkZ5mJs&feature=related

7. Chrissie Hynde – To me she is the best female vocalist of them all. There is something seductive in her singing that always hits me in the chest. Again not a classically trained singer but her voice while different also produces in my mind at least a wonderful sound. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtwX0hMVrIo&feature=related

6. Roger Daltrey – Now talk about a set of pipes. Daltrey just like the rest of the members of the greatest band of all time was the perfect fit. His voice was meant to sing along with Pete’s wind milling, Keith’s mania, and John’s precession. Even as he approaches 70 he still can belt them out. I don’t think I will get much of an argument here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJtbICbfjno&feature=related

5. Roy Orbison – Maybe the prettiest voice in rock and roll history. There are certain people put on this earth with a god given talent to sing and Roy was one of them. His voice was pure magic. He was a country and rock mix vocalist that turned his words into a pure delight. Sadly just as he was enjoying a resurgence he passed away suddenly. But he left behind a great legacy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geLAbyOTaZA&feature=related

4. Levon Helm – There are certain people I could listen to sing anything and be sated. Helm is one of them. I didn’t get into the Band until way later on in life. The one thing I was struck by immediately was the drummer whose voice was so unique and so powerful. No one sounds like Levon Helm. He lost his voice a number of years ago but is now back and he is as good as ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VShpcqd3zE

3. Neil Young – Now here comes a nuking. The thing is there is no middle ground with Neil Young. You either unabashedly love him and his voice or it is nails on a chalkboard to you. Count me in the love group. To me his voice is so different than anyone else’s and just off enough that it is one of the greatest of all time. Neil Young maybe has given more joy from his music then other single performer. A true music god and for those that don’t get him, I feel sorry for you. You’re missing out on beauty. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVi0UvFu8Yo

2. Freddie Mercury – Freddie makes this list for two reasons. One he could flat out sing. The other, he may have been the best front man in rock and roll history. He was a true showman whose stage presence was simply mesmerizing. When he was up there you did not and could not look away. I’m not sure anyone commanded a show like he did. Sadly, I never got the chance to watch him live as he was taken away way too young. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXOOwNS2qk0

1. Van Morrison – Simply put Van Morrison could sing the phone book and I would pay to listen. If you haven’t at least once in your life made out to Moondance then you haven’t lived. I simply cannot put into words just how amazing I feel Van Morrison’s singing ability is, so I won’t even try. Just go YouTube him right now and you will be in a good mood in five minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPSBzGEklE

Honorable Mention: Al Green, Bon Scott, Paul Carrick, Joe Cocker, Jeff Lynne, Corey Glover, Robert Plant, David Byrne, Stevie Wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home