Monday, November 29, 2004

Francone-Arp-Kwit-Crutchfield-Campbell Weekend

As I have had lately I had a rather busy weekend. Of course with it being a four-day weekend, the fun just seemed to never stop.

My Thanksgiving Weekend.
Thursday - The fun really started Wednesday night, as I had to brave the snow to get to Cub Foods to purchase last minute food products for Thanksgiving dinner. The store predictably was a mad house. Once, I got home I relaxed knowing full well the holiday cheer was about to begin.

On Thanksgiving morning, I was busy getting bread stale and then breaking it so it could be used for stuffing. It was at that point when I remembered why I hate cooking. It is boring and tedious. However, I have no reason to complain as my wife was doing most of the work. She had a turkey to prepare, potatoes to mash and stuffing to bake. My job was simply to talk her off the ledge and assure her everything was going to be O.K.

Our families arrived and we broke bread in the traditional sense. As I knew she would, my wife did a great job and all the stress and worry was for not. I had about 6 rolls with my meal as per usual and settled down to watch my beloved Chicago Bears get their collective Asses beaten by the hated Cowboys, with my pants un-buttoned. I drank some PBR and had a good time yucking it up with my Step Dad, Cousin Kevin and Uncle John. Around 7ish, all went home and my wife and I could relax for ever so briefly as for the next day we had to attend a rehearsal dinner.

Friday – The day started with Joyce getting up at 6 AM to go shopping. I wanted to send her to a shrink for even considering it but she wanted to buy a dress for the wedding we were attending. I had worked way to many days after Thanksgiving’s at Kmart and knew the horror’s that awaited her. When she got home she looked as if she had just stormed the beaches of Normandy but she had indeed purchased the dress. I basically sat on my ass knowing that the next three days would be full of running around.

We headed out to Giordano’s to attend the rehearsal dinner later that night. Now, I am not a fan of Giordano’s pizza. I find it bland and un-original, but I know a lot of people who like it so, maybe it is just me. We got there and I noticed that they had only two pitchers of beer out for a group of 45 people. That was not going to do it. That would not take care of me, my Uncle and my cousin, let alone the other 42 guests.

Four pizza's were put out and they were gone is just under twenty seconds. So, we all had to wait twenty minutes while they cooked some more. While, I was pissed about it, hell it was still a free meal and how could I complain about that. I waited it out and ate two more slices and was on my way to my Aunt’s house as my Dad had arrived from Ohio.

I got in a couple of games of ping pong when I arrived and was then asked if I wanted to play Texas Hold em. I must say I love cards and always have. Hold Em is not my favorite game but I play figuring I will bet aggressive and get knocked out early. My strategy backfires as only my Uncle Dan is playing aggressively and I bluff my way to some early pots. As my other family members get knocked out I find it is only myself, My Uncle’s Dan and Randy remaining.

At this point I should explain. I learned almost all of my card games and strategy from my Uncle Dan. A lot of Friday nights in the 80’s were spent playing Rummy, Black Jack or Poker. My Uncle is a very astute and gifted card player so I knew that I was going to have to get some cards to win. Fortunately I did have the chip lead. At that point my strategy was simple, have my Uncle’s fight it out between the two of them. I would change my course and bet conservatively and only if I had a sure winner. Meanwhile, they would knock each other out. I figured I would take my chances in a one on one match up.

My strategy was working and then I drew a great hand. I had pocket nine’s and of course another nine came up on the flop. So I stayed in, when the last nine came up on the turn. Having an unbeatable hand, I got lucky as my Uncle Dan had a flush draw. So, as we kept putting money in the pot I knew I had him. I won the pot and he was quickly out of chips. One down, one to go.

Randy and I played on and kept alternating hands. At long last after playing for what seemed like a month, I got a couple of killer hands and won all the chips. So, I left there 25 bucks richer and had defeated my Mentor.

Stayed tuned for part two of the weekend.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home