Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Sick Of Being Sick

I pride myself on not getting sick. I hate being out of commission, with the flu, a cold, anything. Now, I know no one likes being sick. However, with my personality it is a bad combination. Over the last week, I have been a little under the weather. Joyce got sick from a co-worker and passed it right on to me.

It started out as a sore throat. Every thing I ate or drank became painful. I drank a lot of tea and after a couple of days my throat was fine but then I was congested. I was on to Hall’s and taking some decongestants. After suffering through that for a couple of days I am now onto stage three, coughing. I am currently coughing up as much mucus as the Marlboro man.

All this was accompanied by an overall feeling like shit. I was tired, had no energy and felt like I had just gone toe to toe with Mike Tyson. All I had the energy to do was watch a lot of TV. All of which drove me bonkers as I was felt the walls closing in on me. I have this personality disorder where I need to leave the house and see what is going on in the outside world. Feeling like dung caused my social life to take a hit.

In the end I know I will get better. I have the common cold and I guess I should not complain as I have gone three winters with out catching a cold, so the numbers were against me. It was just my time to get hit with a bug. Winter is almost over and the days of feeling like shit are almost behind me. There was one benefit to being sick and that was the realization that I could never be a hypochondriac

If, there is an opposite term for hypochondriac that is what I would term myself. I cannot stand these people who are always sick. A friend of mine’s wife is like that. Every time I talk to her she is sick. She has a million allergies and I often wonder how the hell he puts up with it. Also, and I know as I get older I will have to grow out of this, but it takes me missing a limb to go see a doctor.

Everyone keeps telling me go see a doctor. I ask for what, so I can pay $20 dollars and he can tell me that I have a cold and to drink plenty of liquids? We have become so over dependent on pharmaceuticals and doctors in this country it is frightening. If you are really sick and you need legitimate help than by all means go to the doctor. However, with most people anytime they have the sniffles they head off to the doctors office. Because of that, you might be able to make an appointment sometime right before the next presidential election.

We all need to grow a set of balls and deal with feeling off. Sure, I felt like crap and Joyce had to hear me bitch about it. But, life goes on and I will get better. Going to see a doctor if you are merely not feeling well affects those with real ailments. Because while you are getting a prescription for un-needed antibiotics, someone who is genuinely sick has to wait.

I am not talking about medical checkups and that nature. We all need to do those things. However, once a year is more than enough to have a checkup. Sure medical testing can save lives but getting an entire health body scan just because you have indigestion is in a word overkill.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I became a harsh critic of doctors and visits to them after a week long bout with what I surmised was strep throat that I finally relented to seeing the doctor for only to be told that I needed to drink plenty of fluids and get lots of rest and pay $75 before I walked out the door.

This was shortly before doctors and the health industry decided that people were too dependant on antibiotics and thusly strains of viruses were becoming resistant and stronger....but the last time I had medicine from the doctor it was pink and tasted like bubble gum.

Anyway, I lived.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home