Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Nick's Super Bowl

I am back at work today after a joyous three-day weekend. All in all it was a very good superbowl. I of course had a good old time and yesterday was a much needed re-boot day.

I got to my friends Mike’s house at 5:00 on Sunday and the party was already in full tilt. I figured if I am going to drink it is best to get some food in my stomach. I headed to the kitchen and grabbed a chicken breast, some meatballs, my wife’s coleslaw, (I am required as all men are to eat my wife’s concoctions at these types of events. Fortunately, the slaw was pretty good.) I also had some taco salad, and a brownie. Plus, some ribs that were BBQ’ed later on.

I went to the liquor store earlier in the day. It is a ritual of mine to go to Bridgeview Liquors on Harlem every Superbowl. They have a pretty good-sized beer section so, I usually will take my time before I pick my brew. This year I notitced that Lacrose Lager was on sale so, I bought that. Lacrosse Lager is the original Old Style recipe. The Old Style you drink today is brewed in Texas and is a watered down version of Pabst. Lacrosse Lager is brewed in the same vats that Old Style used to be brewed in and it uses the same-patented kraeusening technology that Old Style used to use. It is quite tasty.

At the party my friend Ron was tending bar and mixing up Hurricanes and Zombie’s. Joyce had a couple hurricanes, which Ron made quite strong. We had strip cards going every quarter, which were being run by Mike’s son Ryan who is sixteen. Ryan won the first and second quarter so, the fix was obviously in. All in all I lost my ass, as I didn’t hit the strip card or the numerous squares I had.

There was a mean game of ship-captain-crew at half time. It is a dice game where the object is to roll, with five dice a 6-5-4 in that order and then the remaining two dice are your points. You have three rolls, and you go around the table once. If two people tie the whole table ties. We had a 50-cent pot up to over $12 bucks, which I am happy to report my wife won. With all of that excitement going on I missed Paul McCartney’s half time show which is all well in good as I’ve heard Hey Jude, just short of a million times.

The game itself was close and I was one of only two people rooting for the Patriots in the entire house. I tossed and turned all week with my rooting interest and after remembering how the Eagle fans booed McNabb when they drafted him decided that they did not deserve to celebrate. Philadelphia is the one town more miserable than Chicago when it comes to sports so, I say screw’ em. It was a nail bitter and overall a pretty well played game.

Afterwards we got some blackjack in and I won a couple of bucks playing that. I proceeded to get a little more inebriated as the night went on. I was celebrating the fact that I had Monday off and I really enjoyed myself. I took pictures of the entire playoff madness and posted them over at my yahoo photos section at: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/nafran/album?.dir=721b&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http://

1 Comments:

Blogger 10withmop said...

A strip card is bascially you get a number 0-9 and if at the end of the quarter the combined score ends in that number you win. So the final dcore of the Superbowl was 24-21 meaning that the 5 would have won. 24=21=45. So, 5 is the winner.

To the delight of those with vison, none of us actually strip.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home