Monday, May 02, 2005

Working for the Weekend?

It was another exciting weekend in Nick’s world. Here is a brief rundown.

Friday – At around three o’clock the wife calls and tells me she has “free” tickets to the Sox game. The tickets were right behind the Tigers dugout so, being a fan of baseball I figured what the hell. I got off of work went home and changed into warmer cloths as it was a pretty nipley night out. The tickets that Joyce got also had admission into the Stadium Club, which is a pretty swanky area of the ballpark. So we get tot the game, pay $16 bucks to park and are off to the Stadium Club.

Once, inside I order a $5.00 beer and a $9.00 pulled pork sandwich. For ballpark food it was pretty good. Joyce also got a drink and some food and after we paid the $35 bill it was off to our seats. By the time we got down with the general public it was already the third inning. So, the beer had already been flowing. Now, I am a beer drinker but, I rarely drink to excess and if I do, I’ve been told I am a happy drunk not a rude, surly asshole.

In a recent Sports Illustrated article the White Sox fans were ranked the worst in baseball. That’s 30th out of 30 teams. This on the heels of an informal poll taken of over 100 major leaguers that also ranked Sox fans as the worst in baseball. Well the wife and I saw first hand the ugliness of the south side fans. First off we had two nice gals in front of us who were drinking more beers than a construction worker on his lunch break. They were loud, ugly, hate-filled and obnoxious. I than had a father and son sitting next to me. The whole time the Dad is doing a fine job on how to hate as opposed to respecting your opponent. We then had a fat lady behind us who would bitch everytime people would stand up to cheer. I guess lifting up all that blubber is a bit of a strain. Also, we had some jackass behind us who would not shut up and was getting drunker and ruder as the night went on.

As the game went on the crowd got worse. We had two Tiger fans in front of us who were politely sitting in their seats and doing nothing wrong other than rooting for their hometown team. Well, this caused the drunken masses to flip them the bird and sling racial slurs in their direction. It all culminated when a Tiger player got hit with a pitch and was down on the ground in pain. At that point the fans cheered. That was it for me. Ugly behavior is one thing but to actually cheer a player getting hurt is beyond low class. The sad thing is that I know a lot of good Sox fans. I am friends with them. It is just unfortunate that a few rummy’s go out and ruin the experience for the majority. Because of all of this, that will be the last game I attend this year other than Cubs-Sox game which I already have a ticket for.

Saturday - I was a week late in mowing the lawn so, I got up showered and waited until a reasonable hour and mowed the lawn. It was overcast the entire time and I just kept waiting for the rain to start falling, which would have really sucked. I than watered my plants and went about to do some more outdoor work. Joyce than came outside and told me she was going to the store. As she drove away I thought I hope she didn’t lock the door on her way out. I checked the back, side and front doors. All of them were locked. So, knowing Joyce was going to spend at least two hours at the store I had to make a choice. My Uncle Dan has a spare key for my house. He lives about two miles from me.

So, I figured I would just hop on my bike, ride over and pick up the key. About halfway there I got about as thirsty as a Nevada hitchhiker. . However, having no money on me I had to try to make it all the way there. Than, the rain hit. It lasted about thirty seconds but it was just enough to make my trip a little more challenging. I get there get the key and call my house. Of course Joyce was already there. So, if my impatient ass would have just waited I could have avoided the bike ride. So, Joyce picks me up at my Uncle’s and I chalk one up to experience.

Sunday – I had scheduled a softball practice for five in the afternoon. However, it resembled a February day outside not May 1st. The wind was blowing and it was thirty-five degrees out. However, a few of us fools braved the elements to attempt to at lest get some swings in before our first game this Wednesday. Every time you hit the ball your hands stung. I am used to the sensation but after like fifteen swings it gets annoying. In the field every popup was an adventure. So, after the longest hour of my life we decided to call it a day. Other than getting some exercise it was a complete waste of time, as we didn’t get much practice time in. I went home and started my defrosting. At least I had two new Simpson episodes and a new Family Guy that salvaged at least some of the weekend.

As for this upcoming weekend it is Mother’s Day. We have my Mom, my Aunt and Joyce’s Mom coming over along with all of the siblings. So, the panic has already set in at De case Francone residence. I am sure there will be another blog in me after this weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like it was a great weekend with the wife!

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home