Monday, August 01, 2005

Meeting Ash

This weekend I got to meet one of my favorite actors in Bruce Campbell. For those not familiar with his work, Bruce is the man behind Ash from the Evil Dead series. He is the king and probably best known of all B” movie actors out there today. I also got to meet Michael Berryman, (The creepy guy from The Hills Have Eyes) Camille Keaton, (the girl from I Spit on Your Grave) and Adrienne Barbeau (who has done a ton of movies but might be best known from her work with John Carpenter in Escape from New York or The Fog.)

All of this took place in Rosemont, at a horror movie convention. I was reluctant to go but my wife talked me into it. Having gone to a sci-fi convention years ago I got annoyed quickly as the geek factor was in full force and when in a confined area with that many twenty five year old virgins who still live with their mom’s it can get real old real fast. However knowing that I am huge Bruce Campbell fan, my wife talked me into going so I could meet him.

The reasons I love Bruce Campbell are many. I highly suggest reading his first book If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor. In it he tells the story behind the making of Evil Dead with Sam Rami and how they basically went to dentists and other professionals in their hometown to back the film. All of those early backers have made back their money and then some as the movie is a cult classic. Also, in the book you get a sense of just how cool this guy is. He’s funny, doesn’t take himself to seriously, and is really likeable.

So, I got to the convention and sat in the audience on a panel that he was on (along with Sage Stallone, Sylvester’s son) and then went into the signing booths. That is where I met Michael Berryman and the others. Bruce was signing by the number you were assigned when you paid for your ticket. I had like somewhere in the 600’s and they were only in the 400’s so I knew I had a while to wait. I Bohemian shopped the cheesy horror movie crap and waited patiently.

Finally I got in line and waited. I had a book and a picture for the man who starred in the Adventures of Brisco County to sign. The wife saw the line and told me to have fun as she went to the café to grab a drink and a bite. The line was long with geeks and other Evil Dead fans. However the love of whom many consider to be the best "Reverse Actor" in Hollywood bonded us. So I waited patiently as the line wrapped around. Finally I got into the conference room where the Star of Bubba Ho-Teep was signing.

I stood there as he cracked jokes and put a smile on everyone’s face. I finally got to the head of the line and shook hands with Smitty from the Hudsucker Proxy. We made some small talk as he signed my book and picture. I than had a photo taken with Autolycus, from the Hercules series. After that I left, coming away with even more respect and admiration for my man Ash (whose best line is still from Army of Darkness when he leans the girl back and delivers with a perfect tone, “Come on baby, Give me some sugar.)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm jealous. Sounds like this convention was right up my alley. I liked BC in the "Maniac Cop" flicks and "Bubba". And Keaton was the only good thing about "I Spit on Your Grave." (read my Netflix review.) Did you know she is the grandniece of Buster? And Adrian has two very fine assets going for he......I always thought she was "the bomb"....especially good in "Creepshow" as Hal Holbrook's bitchy wife. I assume Michael Barryman is the bald guy with the creeped out eyes?? But what the hell was Sage Stallone doing there??

7:15 PM  
Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

Sage Stallone is founder of Grindhouse Releasing, dedicated to the restoration and preservation of quality exploitation feature films. He does not look at all like Sylvester. Here is the website, funny stuff. I also got Matt McGrory, the giant from Big Fish.

1:13 PM  
Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

Ash website
http://www.flashbackweekend.com/past_fbw05_celeb.html

1:14 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

Some of my friends went to school with Sage in North Carolina. He always talked about bad horror films, according to them. Nice to see he has devoted his life to them and is not living off his father's and his uncle's (HA HA HA) names.

Congrats on meeting Bruce. That must have been fun. Evil Dead II, as you know, is one of my favorites.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home