Thursday, August 04, 2005

Nick's Best Actor's

As Promised here are my favorite Lead performances by an actor in the last fifteen years or so. I will get to the actresses when I get back from NYC.

Tim Robbins, The Shawshank Redemption – This guy just blew me away in this role. To me this was the greatest movie of the decade and was so based on the job this guy turned in. You felt every feeling he did as Andy.

Gabriel Byrne, Miller’s Crossing – Byrne plays it just right in a role that could have easily been to over the top. This guy has long been a favorite actor of mine and as usual the Coen Brothers get possibly his best performance.

John Turturro, Barton Fink – Turturro is also a favorite of mine and in Barton Fink he goes out and nails it. In what in hindsight had to be a somewhat challenging role he delivers the goods, as he always seems to do.

George Clooney, O Brother Where Art Thou – Now, I know that Clooney is no Brando however, I kind of like the guy. Sure he’s a Hollywood pretty boy but that does not make him any less of an actor. In O Brother, he simply turns in a great comedic performance.

Jeff Bridges, The Big Lebowski – OK, do you see a trend here? Yes, I love the Coen Brothers and Jeff Bridges does the job of a lifetime as the Dude. I was never a fan of this guy before this movie but I gained a whole lot of respect for him after this one.

Jack Black, School of Rock – The energetic Jack Black does the impossible in this movie. W.C. Fields always said never act with animals or kids, as they tend to take away from you as an actor. What Black does with this role is simply amazing as you come away laughing your ass off without this movie becoming some cute schmaltzy kids movie.

Ed Norton, Fight Club – In this one Norton had to carry the load and he did just that. Sure he had great material to work with but a lesser actor would have not added as much as Norton did. For my money this guy is one of the best actors of his generation.

Johnny Depp, Ed Wood – Depp nails it as Ed Wood. While Martin Landau has received all of the attention for his portrayal of Bela Lugosi (deservedly so I might add.) All of that attention has seemed to diminish the job Depp did as Ed Wood. He played it perfect without mocking the man.

Sam Rockwell, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind – He was Chuck Baris. He found just the right note to play Baris and as it turned out you wound up rooting for him despite his obvious flaws.

Val Kilmer, The Doors – The movie itself sucked however, you cannot argue with the dead on performance Kilmer gave as Jim Morrison. He sang his all the lyrics himself and he had all of Morrison’s physical movements down. Just an amazing job in a shit movie.

Gene Hackman, The Royal Tenenbaums – Hackman has long been one of favorites and in the Royal Tenenbaums he uses the material handed to him and takes to an amazing place. Hackman just proves that he just keeps getting better with age.

Billy Bob Thornton, Bad Santa – Thornton is another one of those actors who I really love. I’ve never seen him give a bad performance, (even in the horrible Armageddon.) In Bad Santa Thornton shows his comic chops and timing in a role that he seemed born to play.

Steve Buscemi, Tree’s Lounge – Buscemi, wrote, starred and directed this tale. Here he plays the perfect asshole alcoholic. As usual he gives a great performance and just proves just what a great actor he really is.

Kenneth Branagh, Celebrity – In Celebrity, Branagh plays Woody Allen better than Woody Allen ever has. It is amazing to see this English actor mimic Allen to perfection. Again, the movie is a bit flawed but not because of the performance that Branagh gives.

Tim Robbins, The Player – Again I will begin and end with the same actor. Tim Robbins portrayal of the sleazy Hollywood studio asshole is just perfect. He makes this movie what it is, which is a complete treat. Altman’s best work in my mind and it has a lot to due with Robbins performance.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robbins was terrific and so was Morgan Freeman.

Turturro is good in anything.....especiallt Jesus the bowler in Labowski.

The only Clooney movie I enjoyed was O Brother.

The Big labowski is my favorie Coen Bros film....and I like them a lot.

Not a fan of Depp but sure did enjoy Ed Wood.

Viewed Miller's Crossing with you at Uncle Dan's but don't recall much about it, Jack Black is just plain dumb, I like Norton but did not see Fight Club because of Pitt. I thought he was terrific in American History X. Rockwell did a good job as Barris but I didn't think it was in the company of others that made your list. I hated the Doors and I guess that taints my memeory of Kilmer's performance. I do remember your co-star was in that movie. Hackman's ususaully very good but did not sdee this movie.

I liked Bad Santa but thought the little guy stole the movie.
Buscemi is always worth a watch but I thought Trees Lounge's ending stunk. Otherwise very well done.

I don't watch anything to do with Woody Allen and I did not see the Player.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Landau was great, and has rightly led to more people looking again at Lugosi's work.

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home