Monday, August 29, 2005

The Perfect Meal

Here are the top five pizza joints by my house, in no particular order.

Phil’s – Located in Oak Lawn I’ve been a long time fan of this place. My wife also really likes Phil’s. They have a thicker crust and their sauce is different from most other places. Their toppings are always very generous and if you get the sausage (which is usually what I get) be prepared for it. Their pasta is OK and the chicken is also a little under whelming so, if you go to Phil’s do yourself a favor and just order a pizza. Overall, a good pie that never disappoints.

Fasano’s – Located in Justice this is one of my all time favorites. It is an extremely greasy pizza but that is just what makes it good. A typical pizza joint and I wish I could point to what makes this one so good, but I can’t really explain it. All I know is that when I moved away briefly this ‘za was one of the things I missed the most. Their other items on the menu are also really good. The chicken rocks and I also have had the pasta and it is pretty good. Also, someone mentioned to me that their ribs were really good but I’ve never had them. All in all while it may be a guy pizza, you have not lived until you’ve had a Fasano’s pizza.

Palermo’s – The original is located on 95th in Oak Lawn. There are a couple of bastardized versions out there but I’ve heard they are not as good. Sadly, this place is a little far from my current house so, I don’t get to go there very often. While their normal pizza is very good I am a huge fan of their extra thin and crispy. The sauce is very sweet and you can’t get it all the time but when I get a taste for it nothing else can it the spot. The rest of the menu is good, but kind of expensive so I suggest just going for the ‘za.

Joe’s Italian Villa – Located in Bridgeview, I first went to the Villa years ago, and didn’t really care for it. Then one day I decided to give it another chance and it has been in my regular rotation ever since. Another sweet sauce (not as sweet as Palermo’s, but sweet none the less) it has grown on me through the years. A thinner crust that is also real good. Even though I usually get sausage everywhere else at the Villa, I will usually alternate that as I find the sausage they use a little to salty. The rest of the menu is also really good and on Tuesday I highly recommend the Chicken Dumpling soup. On top of all that Joe, who manages the place is a really good guy.

Little Frank’s – Located in Burbank I used to live and die with this place. However, over the years the quality has gone down and the price has gone up. The basic problem with Little Frank’s is consistency. Sometimes you will get a great one, than the next time you will get a so-so pie. When the old man was running things you always got a good one. Once he retired and the son’s took over it kind of went downhill. With hat said when you get a good one there is nothing better. A tasty pizza, that offers generous toppings and cheese. A little thinker crust that holds it all together. Again, this place is a little far away from me now so, I don’t get there that often anymore. As for the rest of the menu I can’t really say, as I don’t think I ever have had anything there other than the pizza.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous..........I won't be enjoying one of these pizzas until December.

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home