Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Some More Light Reading

It’s book report time once again. Here is a brief rundown of the last five books I’ve read.

American Splendor Our Movie Year by Harvey Pekar – I am huge fan of the movie American Splendor and because of that I went out and read all of the American Splendor illustrated novels. This being the last one I checked out. I find Pekar to be funny in his old set in his ways cranky self. In this comic it basically details Pekar’s year dealing with the movie that came out about him. Even if you don’t want to read his comics check out the movie with the great Paul Giamontti.

Grasping For Airtime: two Years in the Trenches of Saturday Night Live by Jay Mohr – SNL, has had a lot of ups and downs over the years. It started to pick back up with the Farley, Hartman, and Sandler years. Jay Mohr worked two forgettable years there and dishes on just how maddening of a process it is to work and write on that show. Mohr, comes off a little bitter about his time there but still it is a pretty good read about the behind the scenes of the show.

New Rules: Polite Musings From a Timid Observer by Bill Maher– I am a huge fan of his HBO show Real Time and I find his New Rules segment to be my favorite. As a matter of fact I directly rip off this concept when I go on my monthly rants. Anyway, most of this was a repeat for me as I saw these complaints on the show, still it was funny to read them again.

Make Love the Bruce Campbell Way by Bruce Campbell - I got this book at his appearance in Rosemont and read most of it n the flight to and back from New York. It is a quick read about a fictional account of Campbell attempting to make a mainstream Hollywood movie. As someone who loves his humor and wit I of course liked the book. However, if you are someone who liked Runaway Bride you may not like this one.

Who Cut The Cheese: A Cultural History of the Fart by Jim Dawson – As a man who has been known to blast a couple in his time I had a interest in a book about farts. The book has every fact and custom when it comes to flatulence. It wasn’t as funny a book as I thought it would be but all in all it is still an interesting enough read.

5 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

great more books to read!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll check out the fick American Splendor........

I won't go near the SNL (all creativity died on that show with Hartman) or the Mahr offering. I fear the usual liberal blather. Maybe he's so angry 'cause he's not very good looking? Ya, know like a certain chubby guy from Flint.

I like Bruce........

Only you could find a book about farts!!

I just finished "The Other Hollywood", enjoyed it, thanks for the recommendation.

5:55 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Maybe that explains why Bill O'Reily or Rush or Micheal Savage are so angry. There was not one political statement in Mohr's book.

9:49 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

I'd do Al Frankin before Ann Coulter.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant Bill Maher........I like Jay Mohr.

I think Limbaugh and Savage are just as big of idiots as Franken and Moore..........O''Reilly is not quite there yet.

See I am becoming quite liberal in my distaste for pundits.

5:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home