Friday, December 02, 2005

What Happended to Dave?

I used to be a big fan of Late Night with David Lettermen. Back in the day when he was on NBC that show was something. It was different. He spoke to my generation with his humor. It was ground breaking, it took chances and Dave was at his best cracking wise with whatever guest he had on.

Part of the shows brilliance was the writing of Chris Eliot. While Eliot’s career after Letterman has been spotty at best his years on Late Night brought us some of the funniest moments in the history of that show. The man under the stairs, the Fugitive Guy, and the time he drank a liter of Peanut oil and then Vegetable oil to see if their was any difference. All just brilliant.

Then there was Dave himself. Weather he was putting on a suit of Alka-Seltzer while being dropped into a tub of water or wearing a suit of Velcro and jumping on to a wall. He was doing something different. This was Late Night television for the young generation. Sure Johnny was still on but lets face it, for people my age Carson really didn’t have much appeal. Sure, I always respected what the Tonight Show was but Late Night was edgier and in my mind a better show back then.

So, when Dave had his falling out with NBC in the early 90’s and moved to CBS I was pumped. He was going to be on an hour earlier and now I could actually get some sleep without missing Dave. However, his show has not been as good on CBS. Sure, it still blows away that lame Jay Leno snore fest on NBC but Dave has become muted and a shell of his former edgier self. Now, Dave who is older has settled into mediocrity. He seems like he has mellowed, as he has got older. I guess that was inevitable but, boy I sure miss that old sarcastic Dave. Now, when I want to see original and humorous late night material I tune into Conan, but even that show has gone down since Andy left.

All of this brings me to last night’s appearance by Oprah on Letterman. Dave was kissing her royal ass for the entire world to see and it was making me ill. Oprah Winfrey is a narcissistic loon who has brain washed a lot of bored housewives and turned them into sheep like zombies who bow down to her every whim. Her show is a travesty and is extremely ripe for mocking. But, all Dave did last night was lob some serious softball’s at her.

I guess that old Letterman show is gone forever. It ended the day he left NBC. Still, I will always hold that special place in my heart for Dave. He entertained me for so long and did so with out fail. I just hope that people appreciate what that show was able to accomplish back in the 80’s and not remember Letterman for what he has become. I realize that nothing is forever and time changes things and people. Still, just once I would like to tune into the Late Show and see Dave being that edgy, sarcastic, pessimist that I loved.

2 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

I know that we live together but I did not see or hear you watching David Letterman last night. I was watching it in the other tv. I thought Chris Eliot was so funny too but went downhill when he left the show.

12:00 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Sorry, I caught it downstairs.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home