Thursday, November 17, 2005

More Nonsense Reading

It has been awhile since I posted some book reviews. So here is a brief summary of the last five books that I have read.

The Bad Guys Won, by Jeff Pearlman – This is the story of the 1986 Mets. Now, I am in no way shape or form a Mets fan. I am however, a fan of baseball and 1986 goes down as one of those classic seasons in which the postseason had more dramatics then any other one then I can remember. When it was all said and done the Mets had won the World Series. In this book the author reveals just what a bunch of lunatics these guys were and it also goes into to explain what happened to that team and why they only won one title. In all of my life I have never seen a bigger waste of talent then that of Dwight Gooden and that chapter alone is worth reading.

An Askew View: The films of Kevin Smith, by John Kenneth Muir – Another book about one of my favorite directors, Kevin Smith. In this one, there is a lot of regurgitation of stories I already knew but it was still a good read. If you are a fan of Smith’s work then you will enjoy this book. If you have no interest in pouring over the Jersey trilogy then you might not enjoy this one.

Heavier Then Heaven: A Biography of Kurt Cobain, by Charles Cross – A really good book about the life and times of Cobain. In this book we learn about the troubled, tumultuous life of whom may consider the voice of my generation. Whether you agree with that or not, is not the point. This is the most honest portrayal I’ve read about Kurt and it showed him for what he really was. He was a contradiction, one minute loving and tender the next a narcissist who would turn off anyone that cared for him. Ultimately his demons got the best of him but he sure put out some good music in a short time frame.

The Rise and Self Destruction of the Greatest Football Team in History: The Chicago Bears and Super Bowl XX, by John Mullin – The 85 Bears go down as one of the greatest teams in the history of the NFL. However, to any fan of that team there is always that feeling that they should have won more then just that one title. Here we get the story about how that team was built and how it fell apart. I have always felt that Mike Ditka is the most over rated coach in history and in this book it does go into that a little. If you are a Bears fan this book is a must read.

Dean and Me: A Love Story, by Jerry Lewis and James Kaplan – I am a pop culture junkie. And as such, I love to read about what the entertainment industry was like back in the day. Martin and Lewis were doing their thing in front of a live audience sometimes fives times a night for ten years. What a run they had. This was quite simply one of the best books I’ve read about show business and I have read a lot of them. I could not put this book down. Dean Martin has always been my favorite member of the Rat Pack and this is a great insight into that man. Jerry Lewis, tells a hell of a story and you get all you would ever want to know about their partnership and their eventual break-up. Funny, sad, goofy, and serious this book tells it all. I’ve never been a huge Jerry Lewis fan but after reading this book, you can’t help but like the guy. I cannot re-iterate how much I loved reading this book. I didn’t want it to end and I could not put it down. If you have even a remote interest in this subject matter please pick this one up.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would never read a book about the Mets. But I am going to pick up the Jerry Lewis book.

Thanks for the suggestions.....

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home