Friday, March 10, 2006

Netflix Fun Continues

Here is a brief summary of the last five DVD’s I got from Netflix.

The Life and Times of Harvey Milk – After I went to San Francisco and heard about the assassination of Milk and Moscone I wanted to find out more about it. That is how I stumbled upon this DVD. This is great look at what happened. It was eerie to know that Milk knew that he was going to be killed because of who he was. He was the first openly gay man to win an election. It is sad to see just how little has changed in the political landscape in the twenty-five years since his death.

The Up Series – This is a fascinating look at a group of seven-year-old kids. The original film was shot in 1963 and every seven years the filmmaker has caught up with those kids to see how their lives have turned out. You have kids from every economical class in England and from a sociological perspective this is a very interesting series to watch.

Eulogy – I don’t know what made me rent this turkey. A lot of people in netflix rated this movie three or four stars and I don’t understand why. A ridicules movie that tries to hard to be funny and poignant and doesn’t succeed at either. It is about a father who dies and the “dysfunctional” family comes together to mourn him. Recycled story line with nothing new to say.

House of D – I was an X-Files fan. So, because of that I was a David Duchonvy fan as well. His movie career has been spotty to say the least so when I heard that he wrote and directed this movie I put it in my queue. The first three quarters of this film was very enjoyable. However, the ending was so maudlin and hokey that it lost all credibility with me. Still, it is an interesting enough movie that I’d give a sideways thumb.

Over the Edge – I rented this late 1970’s look at adolescence because it was Matt Dillon’s first film and the summary seemed to be interesting. While the film is very dated it still holds some of its original message. Dillon is not the star of this one so, don’t expect to see a lot of him in the movie. However, if you want to see a film about why you should never raise a family in a planned community this is it.

1 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

WOW, the up series. I can not believe how the class system directly effects the growth and development of a person. But it does. It moved me and I am not talking about my bowels either!

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home