Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Sweet Lou

I am not sure how much more the man upstairs is going to ask us Cub fans to endure. On top of having had to wait 98 fucking years and counting for a World Series, we now have a few more crosses to bear. Last year was sickening enough watching the White Sox win the series. I had to eat crow all last year and let me tell you it sucked and was salty as hell. So, finally this year after the Sox collapsed in September, I figured the reign of terror was over. The Sox would no longer be defending world champs and life would go on.

Then this year’s playoffs began and the other most hated team of Cubs nation won this years series. The Cardinals and the arrogant, smug, jag-off Tony LaRussa won it all this year. What makes this even more galling is that they only won 83 games all year. That is the lowest amount ever for a World Series champion. Now, all those hillbilly, fat, white, republican Cardinal fans and their unshaven women get to drink their shitty Budweiser and celebrate as champs.

As for my team, well, at least things are starting to look up. They say be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. Well, I have been telling anyone who would listen that the Cubs should bring in Lou Pinella to manage for the better part of two years. Two weeks ago, my wish was granted and they officially introduced sweet Lou as the Cubs new manager replacing Dusty “Sleepy” Baker.

If nothing else Pinella will bring some fire to this team. Lou won’t stand for Jacque Jones getting picked off second base or Ramirez loafing it down the first base line on a grounder. Pinella has consistently gotten the most out of his ball clubs wherever he has gone and that includes Tampa. Connie Mack couldn’t have won in Tampa.

Now the off season which was already going to be interesting gets even more so. Jim Hendry had to make certain assurances to Lou, that he would do everything to put a competitive team on the field. I mean why else would Pinella want the job?

I know a lot of Cub fans wanted Joe Girardi as the manager. I don’t necessarily think that would have been a bad choice, but I like Pinnella a little better. Girardi overachieved in Florida for one year, but that is the only thing you have to go on. I also don’t like that there were rumors coming out of Miami that he was hard to get along with. Also, I was not a fan of his military like rules of making the players all shave and have short hair. I mean is this 1950?

So, I am cautiously optimistic, which as a Cub fan is all you can be. I am looking forward to looking into the Cub dugout and seeing a real manager who knows what it takes to win. Baseball is at a very strange time right now in that there is no dominant team. All it takes is a couple of moves here and there and we will be right back in contention.

As being a loyal Cub fan don’t we deserve that? I know there were a lot of Sox bandwagon jumpers two years ago and this will always be a Bears town. It was great in the 90’s watching the Bulls win championship after championship. However, let me just say this, if and when the Cubs win it will be a celebration the likes of which have never been seen. I told my boss, the day the Cubs win the World Series don’t expect me in the office the next day. I would trade all six Bulls championships and the 85 Bears to just once be able to say the Chicago Cubs, World Champs.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a Cubs fan, I did want Girardi in, rather than Pinella. However, I am cautiously optimistic. I just want this season to be better than last.

I've heard rumors that Pinella has suggested that the Cubs try and get A-Rod. I hope not. I don't live in Chicago anymore. Have you heard anything about A-Rod coming to Chicago? Please God, don't let it be so.

1:12 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Personally, I don't think A-Rod is going to come to the Cubs. We don't much to offer plus I don't think the Yankees are going to trade him. I read an article a while back about it in the Trib but that is all I have heard on the subject.

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home