Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Sharing a Shower

I have to admit something. I am a spoiled pussy. I realized this last week as I was having my upstairs bathroom remodeled. My wife and I were forced to share one bathroom for the first time in years. This caused me some very minor inconveniences but none the less, I was extremely relived when it was all over and my wife was back in her upstairs bathroom with all of her scented soap and hair conditioners.

I am a simple man. All I really need in my shower is a bottle of Pert and a bar of Zest. I am good to go with that. I can clean most of my various body parts with those two products. My wife, God love her tries to get me to use liquid Dial with a shower poof thing. I have gotten along fine without it and really when I am bathing myself I really don’t like a lot of clutter in the shower. I just want to reach over and grab my bottle of Pert and wash my hair and be done with it.

So, as I was forced to have to share my downstairs shower with Joyce, all of the sudden my personal space was being over run with Bath and Bodywork lotions and Burt’s Bee’s soaps. My big bottle of Pert was becoming hidden behind the myriad of products that Joyce uses. This was causing me some minor aggravations in the morning as my usual routine was interrupted.

On top of the shower situation I was forced to have to go downstairs when I needed to take my 3 AM leak. Usually I can just get out of bed and stumble into the upstairs toilet and take care of my business. Last week I was forced to negotiate two sets of stairs in my half awake, zombie state. One night I nearly took a header right down the basement steps as I nearly tripped over our cat I didn’t see sitting on the bottom step.

I know, how I sound. I mean I get it, so what. If this is my biggest problem then well, I really have nothing to bitch about. Still, I got spoiled having my own bathroom. I guess it is like anything else. If you never had something you never miss it. It is like central air. I grew up with it in my house so, I really never gave it much thought. Then I got an apartment without it and I never realized just what a privilege it is to have it.

Having my own bathroom is kind of like that. I mean when I was a kid I shared one with my brother and then went to DePaul and shared one with my roommate. Then, I moved in with Tony and shared one with him. I then moved in with Kim and shared one with her. I really never had my own bathroom until I lived by myself in Chicago Ridge in 1998. So, I never really gave it much thought. Then once I had my own I got spoiled.

So, for the better part of nine years I have not really had to share a bathroom with anyone. When Joyce and I first moved in together we found an apartment with two bathrooms. Then soon after that we bought our house. So, when last week my bathroom was invaded by my wife I got territorial. Everywhere I looked in my shower was crap I didn’t want there. For some reason this bothered me. After thinking about it I realized just what a pussy I have become. I mean at least I have a shower to share. Imagine if we only had one bathroom? I would be bathing at the gym all week and that would have really sucked.

I am saddened at what I have become. I mean it was only a week and our bathroom upstairs really looks cool now. We now have a whirlpool tub and a new toilet and sink. It is a huge upgrade over what we had up there. If sharing a bathroom for a week was all I had to do, then what the fuck. I know I should just shut up and realize what I spoiled brat I sound like. So, after thinking about it, I decided that is what I will try to do. Instead of complaining to myself about some minor inconveniencies I will try to roll with it. Life is too short to get my balls in an uproar every time my small little world that I created for myself gets interrupted.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you.........I do not share a bathroom and haven't for many many years....my shower is arranged like I want it arranged and don't go f'ing with it.

And just who in the hell takes baths?? I could never understand people who like taking a bath.

6:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home