Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Mom's 8 Track

I am a little late in posting this one. I wanted to finish this last week but a work project took up most of my bloging time. Music is something that is very important to me. As a young man I had many sources that shaped my musical preferences and tastes. Some were for the good and some for the bad. Like, I can’t listen to Elton John to this day because it was force fed down my throat by all my Aunts at a young age. On the other hand they also introduced me to a lot of 60’s and 70’s music that I still love.

My Mom also played a role in developing my love for music. With Mother’s Day being last Sunday I wanted to acknowledge that fact. There are certain records that if I hear them today they will remind me of my Mom. She had a 1978 Red Camaro with an 8 track player in it. I am sure she had more but it seemed like she played the same five, eight tracks over and over again. (I am sure my brother can fill me in on the tapes I am missing.)

Also, considering what time it was, this list is not that bad. I mean it was the height of Disco and while my Mom was guilty of owning a Vicky Sue Robinson 45 overall her main tastes stayed in the Rock and Roll arena. Anyway, now when I hear any song off of one of these five records below, I am instantly transmitted to being a young child sitting in the back seat of that Camaro as my Mom jammed away to the music. Here are those records.

Silk Degrees Boz Skaggs – I guess my love for this record can be traced to my Mom introducing it to me at a young age. My Mom and I have very different tastes in music but this is one record that we both love. My Mom would blare Georgia out of her Chevy stock speakers and whenever I hear it, I get a smile on my face thinking about it.

Bat Out Of Hell, Meatloaf – As much as Silk Degrees has endeared itself to me, Bat Out Of Hell has had the opposite effect. This was a big record in the late 70’s and my Mom played the hell out of it. Now, when I hear Paradise by the Dashboard Light, I want to vomit. Listen, after Fight Club it is hard to dislike the Loaf but, let’s just say this is not my favorite record and leave it at that.

Moondance, Van Morrison – Well, here my Mom gets big props. Moondance is one of my favorites for so many reasons. Van Morrison could sing the phone book and I would listen to it. The guy just has this amazingly powerful touching voice that tugs at my heartstrings every time I hear it. Again, it was my Mom listening to this record in the Camaro that turned me into a fan.

CSN, Crosby, Stills and Nash – I have a soft spot for this record for no other reason other then Darkstar. A song my Mom still loves and I do as well. While this may not be their most popular album by any stretch, this record still holds up.

Takin It To The Streets, The Doobie Brothers – This is not my favorite record, but it doesn’t hurt either. I am more of a Doobie Brothers fan minus Michael McDonald. The title track was played a ton in that Camaro and upon hearing it, memories of Ford City Mall and Karol’s Red Hanger Shop come flooding back.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Dude, don't forget Dreadlock Holiday by 10CC.

8:22 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

I knew there wouls be at least one I would forget.

9:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home