Wednesday, December 12, 2007

On the Side

I am a side’s kind of guy. I actually prefer eating side items over the main course a lot of times. So here are my top side items to a meal.

Au Gratian Potatoes – Cheese and potatoes, really what else does one need? A favorite of mine, since back in the day when my Mom used to make it. Nothing is better when made correctly.

Dill Rice – In particular the dill rice at Reza’s. Man this stuff is good. When I hit the buffet they run, I usually just load up on the rice, it is that good.

Pot Stickers – I am a big Pot Stickers guy. I used to be all about the Egg Roll, until I had my first pot sticker and never looked back. The sign of a good Chinese restaurant is the quality of their pot stickers. Hong Min by my house has a really good one.

Double Baked Potatoes – A side that should be more popular. I mean it is crack. Basically it is a backed potato stuffed with mashed potatoes and then baked again. Yes, they are as good as they sound.

Baked Beans – My Mom makes a wicked version. Also, I dig the beans that Chuck’s in Burbank dishes out. Sure, they give me some massive gas, but I can not pass on them whenever they are offered much to my wife’s dismay.

Tamales – I know that tamales can be viewed as a main entrée but, I usually get them on the side at Mexican restaurants. I am a fan of the pork tamale, wrapped in the corn husk. A number of places in Chicago have good ones.

Stuffing – In particular my Aunt Kathy’s Turkey Stuffing. I eat the shit out of it each and every fourth Thursday in November. I am a big bread guy so, it is no wonder I am a fan of stuffing.

Rice a Roni, Chicken flavor – When I was a single man, I used to eat this as a meal all by itself. I know it has like 1,000 milligrams of sodium but, so what it tastes good. My wife can not stand it so, I don’t eat it much anymore, but I miss it.

Corn Fritters – If there is a heaven, it will include eating an endless supply of corn fritters. In particular, the fritters they have at White Fence Farm. Crack disguised as food.

Mustard Potato Salad – If the potato salad has mustard, then I am all over it. Cub Foods used to sell this really good one that made a great side item at a BBQ. I am still looking for one that compares.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home