Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Goodnight, Rita

It is with a heavy heart, I write this as my Grandmother passed away tonight. It is weird, I could not sleep at all tonight. I usually hit the sack no later then 11:00. But, as I laid in bed, I was restless. So, I got up and headed downstairs and turned on the TV. I was flipping around when I stopped on the movie the Fugitive. I was lying on the couch and the phone rang. As soon as the caller ID displayed my Dad’s name I knew what was up.

My Grandma has been fighting cancer off and on for over twenty years. She was first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1985. The best estimate was five years. She lived 22 more. She battled and fought, so many ailments I lost track of them all. I am obviously sad to see her go, but I am at peace simply because I know my Grandmother is no longer in pain.

Seeing her these last couple of months was truly heartbreaking. This woman was the patriarch of our family. Strong as a bull, and a rock in the face of anything. While everyone else had a moment of breakdown at my Grandfathers funeral, she sat there and never lost it. She had just lost her husband of 55 years, but she stood there throughout his funeral and never let on that she was in any pain.

Over the last year, she had become a shell of that person. Seeing her in the condition she was in was torture. I will truly miss her, and I promise to write a better and more deserving tribute in the next couple of days. Please forgive me if this post is rambling a little, it is 1 AM and I am somewhat drained. I will be away from this site for a couple of days, as I prepare for my Grandmothers wake. As I head to bed, I know my Grandmother is finally at peace. That thought gives me enough comfort to make it through the next couple of rough days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home