Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Some Netflix Reviews

Here is a brief review of the last ten rentals I have had via netflix.

Borat – I somehow missed this movie in the theaters and at long last rented it. I like most of America found it pretty funny. Check out the special features section on the DVD if you get a chance as it contains some great moments.

Sarah Silverman Jesus is Magic – I had high hopes for this DVD but, I was a tad disappointed. I like Silverman and find her pretty funny, but I had heard most of her jokes that she used here before. It had a couple of new laughs but not as many as I expected.

Devil In a Blue Dress – Not sure how this one even got into my queue. A film noir period piece set in LA staring Denzel Washington. It didn’t suck but, I can not give it thumbs up. I was bored and had a hard time making it until the end.

F*ck – A documentary about the word fuck. It is pretty interesting and dispels many of the myths behind the word. A decent enough watch.

Half Nelson – A really good movie staring Ryan Gosling. Basically about a high school History teacher with a bad crack habit. A young student of his finds out about it and the movie is basically about their relationship. Not an easy watch but, a movie I really liked.

Backbeat – A movie about Stuart Sutcliffe and the Beatles ascent to the top of rock and roll. I had never seen this movie even though I am a big Beatles fan. I really have no explanation why. It is pretty historically accurate and tells a pretty good story of Sutcliffe’s short and tragic life.

Jesus Camp – If you want to watch a movie that will scare the living shit out of you, then watch this one. A documentary where this church basically brain washes children. It goes so far as to pray to a picture of George W. Bush. Scarier then any movie I have seen since the Shining.

Jackass Number 2 – Okay, I am a fan of the Jackass series. I admit it is juvenile but, funny is funny and this movie has some moments where I was rolling on the floor. Not as good as the first film but still pretty good.

Down in the Valley – A film starting Edward Norton where he thinks he is a cowboy. I rented it because I like Edward Norton but this movie wasn’t really good or memorable.

Idiocracy – I kind of liked this movie. There were parts that were really funny. A film that imagines the world being run by the stupid, which sadly is becoming more and more of a reality. Not as funny as Office Space, (Mike Judge’s brilliant look at office life) but still a good film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home