Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Nick's Top 10 Stones Records

I have always had a love-hate relationship with the Rolling Stones. While, it is impossible to dismiss their legacy and their contribution to rock and roll they have become a parody of themselves. They haven’t made a good record since Some Girls in 1978. Plus the fact they keep charging exuberant amount of money to see their sixty year old asses just screams greed. Anyway, here are my top ten Rolling Stones records.

1. Monkey Man – If you want to get Nick’s pasty white ass moving, just put this song on. Impossible not to at the least tap a toe to. Also, will be forever associated at least in my eyes with the scene in Goodfella’s where Ray Liotta is cutting up the cocaine at his girlfriend’s house.

2. Dead Flowers – First released on Sticky Fingers, Dead Flowers is a simple little song with a countyish beat that just works. Mick on acoustic mixing with Keith’s electric arrangement just makes for a beautiful piece of music.

3. I am Waiting – Released in 1966 on the Stones Aftermath album. I first realized my love for the song from the film Rushmore. Whenever I hear the song, my mind races back to the scene where Max jumps the wall to the cemetery.

4. Mother’s Little Helper – Another track from Aftermath. Simple enough song about the demons of valium. A rocking tune that has some mean likes by Keith thrown in.

5. Paint it Black – One more from their Aftermath release. (Can you guess which is my favorite Stones album?) Charlie Watts lays down a simple yet contagious beat. A rocker from beginning to end.

6. Under My Thumb – Yet one more from Aftermath. I will admit this song is a bit chauvinistic, but you not beat the arrangement. Brian Jones put in some of his best work on this track.

7. Wild Horses – Another track from Sticky Fingers, finds the Stones at their mellow best. There are a couple of stories out there about what and who this song is about. No matter, it is a good song and might be my favorite vocals from Mick.

8. Bitch – Okay, another track from Sticky Fingers. Here the Stones threw in a some horns and created an infectious groove. Not a song about women as many would think, but about drug addiction which Keith knew a lot about.

9. Tumbling Dice – My first selection from Exile on Main Street which most Stones fans will cite as their favorite LP. A good song about a man who is more faithful to gambling then women.

10. 19th Nervous Breakdown – Originally released in 1965 as a single. The Stones did not feel it was strong enough for Aftermath. Still, a pretty good song that Mick came up with around that title.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nick Francone said...

Well, here's my two cents and I know they are in the "hits" category but I still love these songs:

Monkey Man... Let It Bleed
Lady Jane ....Aftermath
Ruby Tuesday...Between the Buttons
Gimme Shelter...Let It Bleed
Street Fightin' Man....Beggars Banquet
Jumpin'Jack Flash..greatest hits
Sympathy For The Devil...Beggars Banquet

I could go on and on as I really like this group. Did you know that?

5:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home