Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Top 10 Who Records

The Who might be my favorite band of all time. If there is a bad Who song out there I have yet to hear it. Of the three lists I made this one was by far the hardest. For my money there may not have been four better musicians. Daltrey simply has one of the best voices in Rock and Roll. Ask any bass player and they will fill you in on the greatness of John Entwistle. Keith Moon was an amazing drummer who was pure mayhem and energy. Then you have Pete Townsend. A musical God, if there ever was one. Like I said a perfect band. Anyway, here is my list. Again this was a very tough one to narrow down.

1. A Quick One While He is Away – This is just an amazing song. The performance on Live at Leeds of this song may be one of the greatest live renditions of a song ever. Words can not do justice to it. I will never get tired of hearing it.

2. My Wife – I have always loved this song. Entwistle didn’t sing lead on many tunes, here he shows that he had the chops. Released originally on Who’s Next it is about a man’s fear of his wife’s fury for saying out all night.

3. Won’t Get Fooled Again – Another track from Who’s Next. Yes, it has been beyond over-played but it still rocks and carries a powerful message. Meet the new boss same as the old boss, is a statement. Townsend verbalized a message that still resonates today.

4. Love Reign O’er Me - If you have any doubt about the vocal ability of Rodger Daltrey just listen to this song and all matters should be cleared up. The man just has an incredible set of pipes. Closes what many consider to be the Who’s finest work, Quadrophenia.

5. I’m Free – Tommy, is to me a perfect record. I could probably recite it word for word. When, I’m Free, comes on with that great riff from Pete, I am in heaven. Tells the story from Tommy’s perspective when he regains his sight and hearing.

6. Baba O’ Riley – Is there a better opening to an album? Again I know it has been overplayed but just try not to do a Townsend air guitar windmill when listening to it.

7. We’re Not Gonna Take it – The final song on Tommy and what a perfect capper it is. A seven minute opus, that has the Who playing in all their Rock God’s glory. Almost a perfect song.

8. Sally Simpson – A silly little song on Tommy that I have always liked. Appears near the end and tells the story of Sally, a devotee of Tommy who is forbidden to see her idol by her father but escapes anyway with disastrous results.

9. Eminence Front – My favorite post Keith Moon song. Released on 1982’s It’s Hard. Townsend has told many he wrote the song about cocaine addiction. A very good tune on a kind of lackluster Who effort.

10. 5:15 – Another track from Quadrophenia that I enjoy. It shows that Keith was not just a frantic drummer but could rein it in when needed. A powerful jam that never gets old.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

I agree with your assessment of The Who. Definitely THE band for my money. It’s really hard to pin down only ten, but here’s my list, for what it’s worth:

Everything on Quadrophenia, but especially “Sea and Sand”

Heaven and Hell

My Wife

Doctor, Doctor

Cobwebs and Strange

Tattoo

A Quick One While He’s Away (Live At Leeds version)

Cousin Kevin

Sparks

Amazing Journey

8:50 AM  
Blogger Nick Francone said...

The Who are just awesome...I could listen to their stuff all day long and not get bored. Baba O Reilly gets me going anytime. Just a great band.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home