Monday, July 21, 2008

The July Blues

The last week has really sucked a large and veiny cock for Nick. Some how I contracted strep throat and it hit me in the balls in a big bad way. Today is the first day that I feel even somewhat normal (still have a bit of residual pain but it is at long last finally subsiding.) Thank God, because I was beginning to lose my mind.


It started last Sunday. I had a very light sore throat that was causing me a very slight discomfort. Then Monday it got worse. By Tuesday it became unbearable. I could not swallow anything without a pain like someone was shoving a knife in the back of my throat. Also, I was having a bad case of the cold sweats. I would be freezing my ass off, one minute and then on fire the next. On top of that I was running a fever of 101. I was out of commission in a big bad way.


I got up Wednesday called in to work and got my ass to the doctor’s office. There, I was diagnosed with strep and given a prescription for Penicillin. I have has strep in the past and usually after taking antibiotics it goes away in a day two at the latest. Not this time. Wednesday, other then going to the Doctor, I did shit. I watched a lot of bad television and slept my ass off.


Thursday I hoped I would be better. I was not. I again had trouble swallowing and talking. Again, I was at home sick as a dog. I did not step foot outside on Thursday. I made a bowl of Ramen soup and tried to eat that. I found the only things that didn’t cause pain to eat where soup and ice cream. (You can imagine what a diet of soup and ice cream does for Nick’s digestive tract.)


I kept hoping the drugs would start to kick in and I would start felling better, but it was not happening. I woke up Friday, and I still had a fever, had sweat through my shirt that I had slept in and my throat was still no better. I could not miss three consecutive days of work, so I logged in from home and at least got a couple of things done. Still, talking was a chore which limited me in helping some clients. I made it to the mailbox on Friday and that was the extent of my outdoor activity.


Saturday, I woke up and felt only slightly improved. My temperature had at least returned to normal and after gargling every hour the day before with apple cider vinegar my throat at least felt a little better. (I found the apple cider vinegar trick on the internet. I must say it works better then anything else I had tried, which was about a million lozenges and a whole lot of pain relievers.) My throat still hurt, but at least I was not feeling like I was swallowing a cactus all day.


Sunday, I woke up and felt better. My sore throat was still there, but if I was at a 10 pain wide on Wednesday and Thursday I was at a 5 by Sunday. Still a nuisance but it was manageable. I was completely stir crazy by Sunday. So, I went out to get a paper and later with Joyce to the pet store. Today, I am at a 3 pain wise and the sweats have passed and I almost feel like myself again.


It is never fun getting sick, but getting sick in the middle in July, is a complete kick in the crotch. I could have gone to three different cookouts this weekend. Instead I ate Ramen soup and Breyers, Chocolate Chip ice cream all weekend. I have no idea how I got sick, and I am beginning to wonder if I even had strep at this point. I think it is more likely I had tonsillitis which when you are 39 is embarrassing. Hopefully, by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest, I feel like myself again and can start eating real food.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home