Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Cub Fans Plea

The Cubs and Sox renew their “rivalry” this weekend. I hate, hate hate, hate this series and interleague play as a whole. I have never liked it and really dislike the Cubs-Sox series as it has always brought out the worst in people on both sides of town. I vowed long ago to never attend one of these games ever again.

With that said, I hope beyond hope we can all just get along. Both teams are in first and both sides of town should be happy. Still, the losers on both sides of town of course will ratchet up the stupidity. In the overall scheme of things it is six games out of one hundred and sixty two. This series is now ten years old and it is all knotted up with both teams having won and lost the exact amount of games. That just shows to me, that really despite a year or two of superiority on one side of town in the long run things tend to even out.

Regular season games are just that, regular. There are so many variables that occur during a 162 game season that to put so much emphasis, on games in June really makes no sense. No matter what happens between the teams it really has no bearing on much other then bragging rights for a couple of weeks. By mid-July most people have forgotten and are wrapped up in the teams current games. I mean the Cubs won 5 of 6 last year and I can’t recall taking any more satisfaction in those games then any other.

Also, after ten years of this series, I just don’t have the passion I once had for it. When it was a novelty and new, it was something different. Now, it just seems old and unoriginal. I know this would never happen but really there is no need for six games between the teams. The White Sox can guarantee a sell out and Bud “Moron” Selig somehow has convinced himself this series is good for the game. Still I ask why not just play three a year with home field being alternated every year. Or, how about they only play each other every three years? That would make the games a little more interesting as bragging rights would last for awhile.

So, I am asking for peace this weekend. I don’t hate the White Sox. If I did then I would be saying I hate some members of my family and a lot of my friends. No matter what happens this weekend, my only real hope is that the Cubs are either more games ahead of St. Louis or at least leave the series no worse then when they started. Sox fans should be hoping for pretty much the same thing with their lead.

I know there are people on both sides of town, (I know I am extremely biased but, the bile seems to be much worse on the south side.) that take this series much more serious then I do and consider it life or death. To them, all I can say is that it is just a game. It does not directly affect your life. Please try to remember that, as I walk around the south side in my Cub hat on this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home