Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Run Nick Run

The Cubs season is over and I made a promise to myself once it was. I was going to start going back to the gym to get in shape for two runs early next year. The first is the Shamrock Shuffle. I ran that one in 2007. At that time I ran the 5K but I am now going to train for the 8K. That run is around St. Patrick’s Day. The next one is the race to Wrigley in April. Which is only a 5K


I need to start training now because I am no shape to run either. I took the summer and used it to do a lot of nervous eating (thanks Kerry Wood) and basically sit on my fat ass. I was in a very good groove last year going to the gym. However, I slipped a disc in my back and used that as an excuse to stop going to the gym and running. Well, my back has been fine for like a year now and I have not done squat from an exercise perspective.


So, Monday night Joyce and I headed over to Cardinal Fitness. I found some information on going from the couch to an 8K on the internet. The course I am following says I can be in shape to do so in nine short weeks. I am not as optimistic but, I am going to follow it and see what happens.


All of this is a reminder that it sucks getting old. It seems like I have to work twice as hard to stay in shape when I eat half of what I used to. I guess a diet of Fasino’s pizza and Miller High Life’s that I consisted on for much of the 90’s finally caught up with me. I actually like going to the gym and look forward to getting in shape to run again. The goal is not so much weight loss (though that would be nice) but building stamina and endurance.


I hopefully can stay injury free and then be in shape for both runs. It also helps that I have a couple of people at work that have agreed to both runs as well. So, I can’t just say fuck it. If they keep training then I have to keep training. I mean I am a man and as such I am naturally competitive. If anyone else wants to join in on the run (I am hoping that I can talk Joyce into both events) they are more then welcome. I will keep posting updates on my progress unless I have a grabber first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home