Friday, September 04, 2009

Nick's Football Picks for 2009

I am taking a break on listing my favorite musicians so that I can embarrass myself with some football picks. Every year I go out on a limb and make some horrible and non-senseical football predictions. (Last year I predicited a San Diego – Dallas superbowl.) Like most years, I‘ve paid very little attention to football up until now. My entire sports conscience has been on baseball. But, it is getting close to the start of the pigskin season so, with that in mind, here we go.

AFC

East

1. New England

2. Miami

3. Buffalo

4. New York

Brady is back and that means this is the Pat’s division again. They still have a lot of the talent that was there from when they went 16-0 two short years ago. Now they are hungry after missing the playoffs last year. The ‘Fins shocked everyone last year by winning the East. I along with many others underestimated them last year. They return a decent team that could challenge for a wild card. The Bills signed T.O. for some reason and they still employ Dick Jaroun. That will be enough to put them in the 3rd place. The Jets are re-building the offense and may have to take a step back this year to take two forward in 2010.

North

1. Pittsburgh

2. Cincinnati

3. Baltimore

4. Cleveland

This is as it usually is the Steelers division to lose. As always they return a monster D, and do just enough on offense to win most games. The Bengals are my pick to be the most improved team in the AFC. Their D is much improved and if Palmer stays healthy this team is going to surprise a lot of people. The Ravens played over their heads last year and I think they will miss Rex Ryan. I see them taking a small step back in 09. The Browns are only a year removed from being legitimate. Last year, however whatever could go wrong did. They have some talent so, let’s see what Mangini can do with it.

South

1. Indianapolis

2. Houston

3. Tennessee

4. Jacksonville

The Colts should bounce back to win the south this year. A lot of people say they will miss Dungy, but I am not in that crowd as I always felt he was overrated. Last year, I thought the Texans would make a run at the playoffs. Maybe I was a year to early in my love for them. They have the talent to make a run this year. The Titans somehow won 13 games last year with Kerry Collins. I just don’t see that happening again this go round. The Jag’s took a step back last year and in a tough division may have a hard time winning ballgames.

West

1. San Diego

2. Oakland

3. Denver

4. Kansas City

The Bolts should once again win what on paper looks like a pillow fight of a division. They have far and away the most talent in the west. Al Davis should be declared legally dead at this point. Please, play Jeff Garcia because if they do, they will win 9 games. The Broncos had an interesting off season to say the least. I may be nuts but I think Orton will be ok for them. However, their D is brutal. The Chiefs were in a lot of games last year but didn’t win many. I think they are a year away from being decent.

NFC

East

1. Philadelphia

2. New York

3. Dallas

4. Washington

The Eagles always find a way to win and I like them a lot coming into 09. They always have a solid D and now McNabb has some weapons on offense (I still don’t get the Vick signing, but whatever). The Giants really missed Burresss last year and didn’t do anything to replace him. But they still can run the ball and play solid D. The Cowboys are a mess. I don’t like their makeup at all and I think Wade Phillips is fired before Thanksgiving. The Skins are good but play in a really tough division, which will be their undoing.

North

1. Minnesota

2. Chicago

3. Green Bay

4. Detroit

The Vikings simply have the best defense in the division which means they should find a way to score enough to win. By season’s end they will rue the Favre signing though. The Bears are going to be very fun to watch this year. A lot of high scoring games, as their defense scares me. The Packers D also scares me but, I think they will make some strides. The Lions will win a game this year. That is progress.

South

1. New Orleans

2. Atlanta

3. Carolina

4. Tampa Bay

I am going out on a limb here but, I think the Saints finally figure out how to play D and win the South in an upset. God knows they will score points. The Falcons were a surprise last year and have a lot of talent. They will be back in the playoffs. The Panthers can run the ball big time. I just worry about the aftereffects of that playoff game on Delhomme. The Buc’s in my mind took a major step back. I have no idea what they are doing.

West

1. Arizona

2. Seattle

3. San Francisco

4. St. Louis

The Card’s unlikely trip to the Super Bowl taught them how to win. This division is pretty bad so, they should find a way to win it again. The ‘Hawks if they can stay healthy should provide a challenge to ‘Zona but they are kind of re-building. The Niners will be better, but still have a ways to go. The Rams actually have some talent on both sides of the ball. They will be competitive this year which is saying a lot from what they were a year ago.

Playoffs

AFC Seeding

1. San Diego

2. Pittsburgh

3. New England

4. Indianapolis

5. Cincinnati

6. Miami

New England over Miami

Indy over Cincinnati

San Diego over Indy

New England over Pittsburgh

San Diego over New England

NFC Seeding

1. Philadelphia

2. Arizona

3. New Orleans

4. Minnesota

5. New York

6. Atlanta

Atlanta over New Orleans

New York over Minnesota

Philadelphia over Atlanta

New York over Arizona

Philadelphia over New York

Super Bowl

Philadelphia over San Diego

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home