Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Netflix Reviews

I haven’t written a blog in awhile (I am going through some serious writers block right now) so, I figured maybe if I write a ten second review of the last ten Netflix films I caught that may start the creative juices flowing again. Anyway, here goes.

Hellcab – I rented it because it was filmed in and around Chicago. I can’t say it was a bad movie and it is an interesting premise, but in the end it just wasn’t that great and the ending was a tad to melodramatic for me.

Charley Varrick – I have always been a huge Jack Lemmon fan. I also really liked Walter Matthau but never spent enough time watching his films. This is one of his from the 70’s that I never saw. Somehow even if it is a tad dated, it still works. A good cops and robber’s movie that kept me interested the entire time.

21 Grams – I am a big Sean Penn guy yet somehow I never got around to peeping this film. That was a mistake and Penn as usual gives a solid performance as does Benicio Del Toro. Even if it is a downer, it is still a very good movie.

The Foot Fist Way – I really dug East Bound and Down, the HBO series starring Danny McBride as Kenny Powers. So, that led me to check out the movie that launched his career, The Foot Fist Way. It is a flick made on a shoestring budget but, if you are a fan of his HBO series you will like this one.

The Towering Inferno – I saw this as a little kid but remembered nothing about it. I figured a movie with Paul Newman, Steve McQueen and O.J. Simpson had to have some redeeming qualities. And it did. A bit long, but still interesting enough and worth a rental for the 70’s of it all.

The Seventh Sign – I watched a lot of movies in the 80’s in Dell’s basement that because I had one too many cans of Stroh’s I don’t remember much of. This was one of those films. So, I figured I would re-watch it and see if I liked it or not. Well, this was a swing and a miss. I won’t say it sucked but, it is not worth one’s time. There is a reason time forgot about this one.

Charlie Wilson’s War – I am not a big Tom Hanks guy and I loathe Julia Roberts. Yet, I enjoyed this movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is again the balls here. A movie based on a true story about one time Texas congressman Charlie Wilson who while he was a flawed man did some truly great things.

A/k/a Tommy Chong – The fact that Tommy Chong served time in jail for selling bongs over the internet is just further proof that the Regan era war on drugs is a complete failure. At some point doesn’t common sense take over? At least as Chong says, it gave his career a boost and made him something he never thought he would be, a crusader.

Betrayed – I read a book awhile back about the shooting death of Alan Berg, a talk radio host who was shot and killed in Denver by a group of white nationalists. Two movies were made based on that shooting. One was the very good Eric Bogosian film Talk Radio. The other was this one which was not as good. If you have never heard about the case, I suggest reading the book it is better than either film.

One False Move – I saw this movie back in the day at Harlem Corners. Yet, all I could remember about it was that it starred Bill Paxton. (Who for one reason or another I actually like.) This movie is interesting enough but not as good as I remembered it if that makes any sense.

1 Comments:

Blogger Big Geek said...

I loved "Charley Verrik"... great movie. "Kotch" was another great Walter Matthau movie and "A new Leaf"

1:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home