Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Part Deux

Saturday- My cousin Kristie’s wedding was on Saturday. I was happy for her. She had been dating her fiancé Tim for eight years and she had paid her dues with him. Tim, is a good guy who I know will do her right.

The plan called for us to be at the church between 2:30 and 2:45. I know I am going to come off as an ass when I tell this but I will anyway. I am not a patient man. I also loathe being late. I guess my Dad instilled in me a need to always be on time. Also, by being prepared and getting ready early, if something does not go right you have time to fix it as opposed to frantically try to beat the clock.

I tell my wife to be ready by two knowing full well if I tell her that, the best I can hope for is that she will be ready by 2:15. She is different than I in that she will wait until the last possible minute to get ready and then of course when she can’t find her pantyhose, it will all be my fault. Luck is on my side as she gets ready without much prodding from me and my plan works like a charm. At 2:15 she is ready and we head out.

They say rain on your wedding day is good luck. I am sure that is to make those getting married re-assurance that you will not get divorced based on the cloud buildup on a day you picked over a year ago. It was raining Saturday, and it never stopped.

The ceremony was your typical Catholic service. I found the priest to be a bit long winded but other than that it was a nice ceremony. After Church I was whisked away to my Mom’s house as she was having people at the house between the ceremony and the reception. It would be my job to collect coats.

Fortunately, only about twelve people showed up so my job was not that difficult. After killing some time re-telling a morning of my wedding story about a present I left my Mom and Step Dad in an broken toilet, we were off to the reception. The hall was in the middle of a strip mall but what do you expect in Willowbrook. It was very nice however. The dance floor was not huge (at least not for the Francone’s) but people managed. The food, for wedding fare was fine and they even had a vegetarian meal for my brother and his girlfriend.

When the music started it became clear to me for the first time in my life that I am old. I didn’t recognize the Country songs, which is not something I am ashamed of. However, there were a lot of “pop” songs being played I didn’t know either. So I sat there as younger members of the wedding party were shaking their moneymakers. I did the Time Warp and I Vouged. And yes, I had consumed some sprits beforehand. We left around midnight having had a pretty good time. One day to go.

Sunday- Joyce and I met my Aunt, Grandma and my Dad for breakfast at Southern Belle’s. I had the Blueberry pancakes, which I could not finish but were very tasty. I can’t stand when they put that blueberry sauce over the cakes. I much prefer when the fruit is in the batter, which is what they did at this place. A good meal was eaten and somehow I was talked into going to the mall with my Dad, Joyce and my cousins Joey and Marissa.

It seems Marissa wanted a new coat and my Dad told her he would buy her one for Christmas. I should explain Marissa is 16. Now, I was that age once and I know of the insane peer pressure that comes with buying clothes that don’t come from the trendiest stores. Unfortunately, for my Dad, Sears is not a trendy store.

At Sears Marissa looks at every coat in the place and cannot find one she likes. Of course at Sears my Dad gets a 20% discount. We then go to another store in the mall called I believe New York Ave. There, Marissa finds a coat that is very similar to one I saw at Sears and picks that one. My Dad the good-hearted man he is buys her the coat. We then go back to Sears and he picks up some shirts for the lot of us.

This always makes me feel weird. My Dad already does a hell of a lot for me and while I appreciate it, I don’t want him to think I am taking advantage of his generosity. I thank him for the shirt and we head back to my Aunt’s house.

There we play Scrabble and some card games. The usual for a Francone get together. My Uncle Dan comes home from work and then we are roped into helping getting my Aunt’s Christmas boxes down from the attic. She has sixty-nine of them. Ho Ho Mother Fuckin Ho.

After an hour of passing boxes, my Dad, my Uncle Dan and I settle down to shoot the shit. Everyone else has left and a quiet has finally settled in. We order a Fasino’s Pizza and try to solve the world’s problems. This is my favorite moment of any Francone weekend. Just having a bull session with the men. I head back home around 8:30 and try to relax. I have to, my Dad is coming back in three weeks to celebrate Christmas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home