Thursday, January 13, 2005

The Cause of and Solution to all of Life's Problems

This may come as a shock to most people but yes I like beer. (To anyone that has seen my gut this fact is obvious.) I am somewhat of a beer historian so I will give you 3 lists. Here we go:

Nick’s 5 favorite beers (These are the 5 I like no matter what, cost, availability and what not.)

  1. Point – Brewed in Stephens Point, Wis. it is a tasty brew. It’s not filling, doesn’t have a bitter after taste and can be enjoyed in summer and winter. You can’t get it in the flatlands of Illinois much but when I see it, I buy it.
  1. Lowenbrau – This beer has lagged in popularity over the years and I do not understand why. It is very tasty and has a smooth texture. Who ever does marketing for this beer needs to be fired.
  1. Hacker Pschorr – A great German beer. I must say it is 10x better on tap than in a bottle. It is hard to find, but when I find it I can drink it all night
  1. Heineken – A little heavier than most beers I like but its distinctive taste sets it apart. Not a beer to chug or pound all night as it is very filling. A good beer to drink in the winter as it is very hearty.
  1. Moretti – OK, I’m Italian so I must put one WOP beer on my list. This is my favorite. Light, smooth and unique I love having a bottle when waiting for a table at my favorite Italian restaurants.

Nick’s beers he drinks the most. (These are the beers I like to call my default beers. Meaning these are beers that don’t cost a ton and you can get them most anywhere.)

  1. Rolling Rock – Still my favorite “default” beer. Light and smooth, it goes down easy and you can drink it all night without worrying about getting full.
  1. Pabst Blue Ribbon – I have always had an affinity for PBR. I used to find it at dive bars and drink it all night. It has made a bit of a comeback lately and I want a royalty check because of it. Seriously, it is a very under-rated beer, which is very tasty.
  1. Miller High Life – Not, Genuine Draft but old school High Life. It has a very sweet after taste that I love. You can find it most anywhere and it is usually pretty cheap. Also, I can thank my Uncle John for the High Life as that was all he drank when I was a kid and I just must have picked up on it at some point.
  1. Corona – Mexican beer that you can get almost anywhere. I can’t say I ever drink it in the winter but it is in my regular rotation come April. Sitting outside in a beer garden goes hand in hand with Corona.
  1. Schlitz – Not as easy to find as it once was, but it is very good. When I tell people that Consumer Reports listed it as the best overall beer, (when you consider taste vs. cost) most don’t believe me. Trust me, next time you see it order one up, it is very under-rated.

Nick’s least favorite beers. (These are beers that I cannot stand and will never drink.)

  1. Lite – I hate, this swill. If you enjoy drinking watered down chemicals than by all means enjoy. Women are allowed to drink Lite but men who do should also be required to wear a tampon when doing so.
  1. Sam Adams – I realize I am in the minority but I hate this crap. Skunky, heavy and with a bad after taste it has it all. The most over rated beer ever produced.
  1. Coor’s – A huge beer out west, it’s never really had an impact in Chicago and I think I know why. It tastes like shit.
  1. Hamm’s – From the land of sky blue water’s comes this garbage. The only good thing I can say about it, is that it is cheap. However, it tastes like it was brewed in the bathtub of a nursing home. A “friend” brought over a case four months ago and I cannot give it away.
  1. Gunniess – I know a lot of people, who like this beer, and I’ve tried to like it but I just can’t. Any beer you have to strain just cannot be good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home