Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Oral Pleasure

Today I have a date with the dentist. I get to be drilled and not in a good way. I don’t actually know anyone that enjoys going to the dentist other than the occasional sadist I run into. My Dentist is Dr. Rodger, which sounds more, like a pediatrician than a dentist but that could not be further from reality.

I found Dr. Rodger after a long and arduous search. I am very picky about my dentist and to me having a good dentist is even better than having a good mechanic. I have had numerous referrals that did not work out. My previous dentist was simply an asshole. I found him via my dental plan’s website and after calling like 20 offices this guy was the only one accepting new patients. That should have been my first clue. He had the bedside manner of a POW guard. Arrogant, condescending, a male chauvinist, he had the hat trick of great personality traits. I saw him twice and realized I needed to continue my search.

I found Dr. Rodger, through a friend. I called his office and made an appointment. I went in and quickly realized I was the only one in the waiting room born after the Hoover administration. His office hadn’t been remodeled since the 70’s and as soon I was walked in it was an instant time warp. My name got called and went to sit in the chair. He had none of the modern conveniences of most new dental offices, no, TV, headphones, nothing. It was old school dentistry at its best. So, I was pretty much thinking, another bust.

Then Dr. Rodger came in. He is in his 60’s with a military hair cut. However, unlike my previous dentist, he was really cool. Instead of laying a guilt trip about what I needed done he sympathized. He explains each procedure and answers all questions. He has a patience that can only be gained through experience. He has drilled thousands of cavities and has seen it all. I guess there is some comfort in that.

So, know when I have a dentist appointment, I don’t sweat it. I’m not going to say I look forward to them, but I don’t dread them either. The only problem is that I know Dr. Rodger is only a couple of years away from retiring. So, I know my search will be on again in a couple of years.

Lastly, if I run into you or talk to you in the next couple of days, cut me some slack. I apologize ahead of time if I am an ass. I might be in some pain. I know it is only temporary, and I will try to make the best of it. Wish me luck.

2 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

Good luck, if it gets really bad grab on to the chair's arm rests, that's what there for and think happy thoughts.

10:42 AM  
Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home