Monday, December 27, 2004

Bread Lovers of The World Unite.

If we need any further proof that America has lost its mind it is the Carb counting phenomenon currently taking place in the US. This just proves what I have always said, people are sheep and they are very, very lazy. You tell them they can eat all the bacon and Porter House steaks they want and they will magically lose weight, and they buy it without ever considering the long-term health costs.

Fad diets come and go. The Atkins is just the newest in a long line of weight control potions that have come and gone. Unfortunately, we are so obsessed in this country with how we look that we will go to no ends to lose weight. A while back I was at breakfast with a co-worker who was on the Atkins diet. I grabbed an apple and he had a greasy ham and cheese omelet with three strips of bacon. I asked him if he wanted half of the apple and he told me he couldn’t because, apples were not allowed on his diet. I’m sorry any “diet” that allows bacon and does not allow for apples can not good for you.

Now, I don’t consider myself to be at a perfect weight. I could stand to drop ten to fifteen pounds. However, I don’t want to. I like bread, I like pasta and damn it if I want to have a real beer (as opposed to a light one) I think I have earned the right. It is my life and I will do with it what I like. I like food and sometimes I am made to feel like a criminal because of it.

Losing weight is not as hard as people think. All you really have to do is eat in moderation and exercise. My friend Chris eats quarter hot dogs for lunch and can down a whole box of Chicken in a Biscuits in one sitting and never gain a pound. Why you may ask, because he runs every day. His metabolism is higher because of it and he burns off more calories. If you sit on your ass all day and then decide that you want to lose weight by eating nothing but meat then you better be prepared to live with that diet for the rest of your life. Because as soon as you go back to eating bread, you will put the weight back on. Any health care professional will tell you drastic and fluxuating weight gains and losses are not good for you.

So, if you are currently on that diet I implore you to stop. If you are serious about weight loss, go join a gym. I for one could care less. Vises are not always a bad thing. If you like ice cream, than eat it. Life sucks, and there are very few pleasures in it. To willingly deprive one’s self those pleasures, to me is simply foolishness.


2 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

LITF! Where do you come up with all these titles.

8:30 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

On a seriuos note about this post, a long time friend of my Step Dad's Tom Krebs passed away suddenly of a heart attack last week. He never smoked, exercised reguarly and both his parents are still alive. However, he had been on the Atkins diet for six years.

I'm telling you, you can't live on protien's alone I don't care how much weight you lose.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home