Monday, January 03, 2005

Getting to Know Nick

I have always maintained you can tell a lot about people by scanning their cd collection or seeing what magazines they subscribe to. Also, by asking certain questions, as insignificant as they may seem at first when pieced together with everything else can go a long way towards identifying one’s personality. So, I will expose mine by revealing some pop culture favorites of mine. Also, I hope to spark some debate.

My favorite Monkee is Mike Nesmith. While, Davy is the choice of most women and Mickey is a popular choice as well, I prefer the dry subtle humor of Mike. If for nothing else he was the executive producer on Repo Man. I have nothing against Peter Tork, and Your Auntie Grizelda is one of my favorite Monkee tunes. (One of the few Pete was allowed to sing lead vocals on.) However, Mike is the cool Monkee and the one who needs the Monkee’s the least now.

My favorite Simpson’s character is Mr. Burns. I am not sure what that says about me, but I laugh the most at his lines. While I can laugh at most characters on the show, any episode that features the evil C. Montgomery Burns, is usually a favorite. To many great lines to quote but on two separate Halloween episodes he has used the line to Smither’s “I owe you a Coke.” I just love that line.

My favorite Beatle is Ringo. Now, I know I will get nuked on this one but hear me out. Ringo realizes he is the luckiest man alive. He was the most replaceable member of the foursome, yet he never lets that fact bother him with his enjoyment of life. While Paul is Mr. Love song, John was Mr. Peace, and George was Mr. Traveling Wilbury, Ringo just had fun. With John and George both passing on, I can guarantee that Ringo will out live Paul. It just makes so much sense. Plus Octopus Garden is a jam.

I find Gun’s and Roses to be the best metal band to come out of that 80’s makeup wearing crap. Poison, Whitesnake, Winger, Cinderella, Skid Row, Bon Jovi, Ratt, Twisted Sister, WASP, and Warrant, I hated them all. G’N’R is heads and shoulders above the rest. The only real competition is Metallica. IN the 80’s and early 90’s Metallica rocked. And Justice for All is one of the greatest metal discs released. However, Appetite for Destruction and both Lose Your Illusion records are rocking forces that can go toe to toe with anything. Sure, Axel Rose is a flake and they didn’t have the staying power but the little amount Gun’s and Roses put out is pure gold.

George is my favorite Seinfeld character. Sure, I love Kramer, Jerry and Elaine, but it is George Costanza that makes that show hum. In fact I would list George as my favorite character in TV history. He has so many issues, embraces failure and is the ultimate loser. Short, stocky, bald, underemployed, he has it all. On top of that, I want to send a huge shout out to his parents. Frank and Estelle only added to allure of that character. When he moved in with them for those two seasons, that was when Seinfeld was at it’s best.

Of the five that have been made to this point, Empire Strikes Back is far the best of the Star Wars movies. Debating Star Wars movies is the ultimate in geek talk so, I will keep this one short. The original Star Wars is a three star film. Empire gets four Stars and the rest of them including Return of the Jedi all suck.

As many who know me, realize, I am a huge fan of the films of Kevin Smith. So, to finish this I will list my favorite films of his in order.

1. Clerks - Still my favorite after all these years.

2. Mallrats – Many pan this one but Jason Lee is a genius and funny as hell

3. Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back – Tons of in-jokes and realizes what it is, a bunch of dick and fart jokes.

4. Chasing Amy – Really good movie about relationships. Watching this recently I looked at Affleck’s performance and wondered what went wrong later on during his career.

5. Dogma – Smart, funny, and had a giant poop monster. What more do I need to say.

6. Jersey Girl - While I love Kevin Smith, I can say that this is a flawed movie. Yes, it has its moments but a formulaic ending and so much sugar that I’m a diabetic now after seeing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home