Thursday, December 23, 2004

Xmas Punch Clock

Every year around this time I choose to work. Most of the office is empty. I could never understand why people would save up all of their vacation and then blow it on the final two weeks of the year. So, as I write this on the 23rd of December my office is a ghost town.

I prefer taking my vacation in the spring and summer. Not having money to go fly off to the Bahamas every January, I tend to spend vacations in Chicago. I get four weeks of vacation now and my wife only gets two. On top of that I get four personal holidays, so I have to find time to amuse myself with those extra days.

My first personal holiday is the day after the superbowl. I haven’t worked that day in ten years. My first year in corporate America, not knowing any better, I went into work that next day and was in a funk for a month because of it. I have a better time on superbowl night than on New Year’s Eve so, being off the next day is usually a good idea. I sleep one off and am recharged for the rest of the week.

My first week of vacation usually coincides with the start of the baseball season. I love the sport and usually attend a Cubs game that first week. Opening day is always packed but I’ve attended that second home game of the year numerous times and have had no problem getting tickets. Plus, knowing Joyce is not the biggest baseball fan and would much rather spend her vacation doing almost anything else, I can get my fix without her.

I then take the rest of my days throughout the summer or early fall. This past year we went to Las Vegas and next year we want to go to San Francisco. Joyce has a friend who lives there so we can get free room and board. All of that means that by the time December rolls around I am out of days.

There are many other reasons for my working in December. First off, I am not exactly full of the spirit on the holidays and I don’t have any kids so, I figure I will work Christmas week and let my co-workers who have kids get the time off. Second, since the office is so empty I can get a lot of work done and catch up on all my projects. Also, I guess I associate Christmas with working since I worked seven years of retail Christmas’ and to me the two go hand in hand.

Lastly, on Christmas Eve the bank puts out a great holiday food spread. The few who are in the office bring in their wives or kids and chow down and we get let out at noon. It just makes no sense to me to waste a vacation day on that. I’d rather waste that day sleeping till noon on a February morning in a vodka induced hangover trying to recover enough to make my way to the remote control to watch some quality daytime TV.

Merry Christmas everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home