Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Pop The Corn

I recently rejoined netflix.com. This is my third time being a netflix member. While I enjoy being a member and watching the movies it was just that sometimes I didn’t have enough time to watch the movies I has rented. So, here is a brief summary of the first couple of films I’ve seen.

Napoleon Dynamite- I had heard from both ends of the spectrum on this one. Some I knew loved it and others hated it. So, I was anxious to judge for myself. I wound up liking the movie. If you are looking for a movie with a great plot, well, than this is not the movie for you. If you like interesting characters that can make you laugh, well than this is the type of film you may enjoy. ***1/2 stars

The Butterfly Effect- I am not a huge Ashton Kuchner fan so I avoided this movie. However, a friend recommended it to me, so I gave it a try. While I did not really like the movie I did like the idea behind it. I’ve always thought about how one decision life affects so many others. For instance, if IBM never takes over support at Monsanto, I don’t leave for Harris Bank and I don’t meet my wife. This film examines those types of things but, lamely. So overall I give it ** stars.

The Incrediblies- I had heard a lot of good buzz on this one and I was anxious to go see it. I was going to catch it in the theaters but, time constrains caused me to miss it. All I can say is that for a kids cartoon movie it is pretty good. Sure there is some cringe inducing moments but hey, I can forgive them. Overall, a funny movie that I am sure will spawn a couple of sequels. Plus having Jason Lee as the voice as the villain does not hurt. *** stars.

Dawn of The Dead- I am a huge fan of the original 1978 George Romero classic. So, I was very hesitant about this film. I for one saw no way anyone could improve on the original so, I felt why even try. With all that said as far as horror movies go, I felt this was pretty good. Not great but a slight thumbs up. It didn’t suck but it in no ways measures up to the original. **1/2 stars.

The Curve- Based on the recommendation of a friend I gave this a try. Well, this is one to miss. I don’t’ want to give away any of the so-called plot. It did have Matthew Lillard who played a great asshole but that was really the only thing I liked about it. Rent Wild Things if you enjoy movies with plot twists and turns. This is just a cheap crappy knock off. * star.

I have Outfoxed, Ray and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, at home. So wish me luck. If anyone has any recommendations please I am always willing to listen as I can sit through almost any non Meg Ryan film.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Netflix, in fact I joined based on your recommendation. I currently have 60 movies in my queue and I watch 3 per week. As far as recommendations go; I liked "The House of Sand and Fog" but it is a bit of an odd flick so you may want to read the synopsis first. I think you will enjoy "Ray", I did. I must admit I have stuck out lately as I have been ordering cheesy horror flicks and they haven't ben very good.

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home