Friday, March 11, 2005

South Side: Represent

Before my wife and I ever agreed to get married we had one major obstacle to climb. I am a born and bred south sider. I love the south side with every ounce of my being. Sure, I am a Cub fan but, that was simply because I was raised as one. Everything else about me is south side. My wife was a city girl, a north side city girl to be exact.

Since we meet at work in the beginning it caused a little bit of a problem in that we lived so far away from each other. Joyce caught me at a bad time. I had just gotten back to the south side after living for a year in the Northwest suburbs. I was as happy as Tipper Gore at a NWA concert to be there. I hated it and was miserable. I learned something about myself in that time. I am a curmudgeon. I need to be by things and people that are familiar. I was always longing for a Dukes beef or a beer at B.J. McMahon’s the entire time I lived away from my roots.

Joyce grew up in the city. She had rarely been south of Madison in her life and it was quite a culture shock to come to my house. The thought of moving to the 'burbs was not really appealing to her. However, I know myself and I knew that I would never be happy being away from my area again. I basically had to let her know love me, love the southwest suburbs. It would be the biggest obstacle in our relationship but eventually over time she gave in and became a suburbanite.

That is not to say she doesn’t still miss the city. For taking her away from her roots, she has a lifetime of playing the, I moved for you card. I am powerless against her argument. Deep down though, she may not readily admit it, but she has grown to like the area. I mean I know I am a catch and all but, I am not that handsome where she would move to a place she hated just to be with my Italian ass.

Sure, the south side has its issues. It is in no way a perfect place to live. She has some points when she mentions our lack of Asian restaurants or how public transportation is a joke around us. Also, there are a still a lot of mullets still walking around the area. All of that is true. However, the advantages are plenty. We are not so far away from the city that we are in the sticks. I can get to downtown in fifteen to twenty minutes with no traffic on the Stevenson. We have parking at all of our stores and when you want to make a left we have these things called turning lanes. And, while we have a lot of mullets we don’t have as many yuppies.

I guess the point of it all is that one part of the city is not really any better than the other. It is all relative. I just love the South side because that is where I am from. Just as Joyce loves the city because that is what is familiar to her. I guess it is a little easier for me in that I work downtown so I get the best of both worlds. I get the city life during the day and then I can retire to the peacefulness of the ‘burbs when I go home.

Being a south-sider I have that chip on my shoulder attitude when I defend it like all of us do. We have a huge inferiority complex for whatever reason. I think it stems from being perceived as blue color, not hip or whatever. I am proud of those blue color roots. We have a work ethic on the south-side that has been inbred in all of us. Most of our families come from plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, phone repairmen or some other tradesmen. We are the glue to society. Not that there isn’t value to white color jobs but the great thing about being a blue color worker is you can see direct results from your work. When you snake a drain and unclog it there is a sense of accomplishment. Trust me after some lame ass team meeting you don’t get that feeling.

So, slowly I am turning my wife into a south-sider. I am sure I will never fully get that city blood out of her, and that is OK. I feel in love with her being a city girl and I would never want her to change that mentality. I don’t want this to come out as some anti-north side rant. However, I am proud of my south side heritage, and I know deep down that we have nothing to feel inferior about.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LIke any good debator, I think you make excellent points for each side, even your wife's side (which technically you could just rant away and ignore) and that is a fine quality...no wonder she moved all the way to the south side to be with your "italian ass!"

and anyway, who wouldn't like anything from a bar called BJ's?

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was born on the north side but moved to the southwest burbs when I was 13. Hence, I am a devoted Cub fan who grew up with the slings and arrows of the idiot Sox fans. I am the product of a work his ass off truck driver and a stay at home mom. I wouldn't have it any other way. I have been in management for 36 of the 37 years I have worked for Sears. The biggest compliment I get from the people I oversee is "you don't act like a manager." You know why? 'Cause I am one of them. I have no pretense about classes, on more than one occasion, my dad brought home the bums of the world
to share a meal with us. People he just met at the local coffee joint. Hell he even invited a forlorn truck driver to my sisters wedding!! The thing is, I don't begrudge people who were raised in a priviledged environment, but I am so proud and thankful to have been raised on the south side. I am not saying north siders are snobby or out of touch with the common Joe, trust me, there's good and bad on both sides of town. My old north side neighborhood is being turned into a row of condos for the new rich. Good for the old neighborhood and good for me that I got out in 1961 and moved to the sticks. I wouldn't be who I am today without that solid, blue collar upbringing.

3:40 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

To my sister-in-law: Lean on this guy... it's not too late! The northside will take you back.

Even though I have often stated that I will never again live in the Southwest 'burbs, I must admit a certain feeling of familiarity when I venture back for a visit. And then it fades when I return to the north side, replaced by the excitement these environs bring.

There are many things I love about the SW burbs, but I'll still never return for more than the occasional visit. I gotta say, I love the north side. Along with the many reasons I could list, one has always been that I feel a sense of superiority to most of the people who live near me, as I can always cite my blue collar roots around them, thus giving me the mysterious street cred they lack. And most northsiders (mainly the ones in Lakeview and Lincoln Park) are not from anywhere near Chicago and thus do not know how to get around the town, save for the 6 blocks that comprises their overpriced neighborhood. It is always fun driving people around and wowing them with my intricate knowledge of the city.

"You got us from Western and Devon to Clark and Armitage so quick! How did you learn the city so well?"

Answer: I explored areas outside of Lincoln Park. I get the same sort of feeling when I take born and breed northside city kids to the southside. Amazing how people stay so insulated and never bother to see what lies beyond.

Anyway, I love my area and if I ever move it will be out of Chicago, out of Illinois and out of the midwest. For me, there is no other place in the midwest to live but the northside of Chi-town. Still, I do love me a trip back to the Oak Lawn bars and have been thinking long and hard about some BG fries from Uncle Sams on 87th and Cicero.

7:47 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Funny you should mention BG fries, as I rarely get them but this new hot dog stand opened by my house and they had them. Damn were they good.

Vince, it is funny how we were raised in the same household yet see this issue very differently. I guess it is all relative and we are wired different. (Which would explain the disagreement over Hocus Pocus being an instrumental or not.)

1:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home