Thursday, June 02, 2005

Nick's Top 50: 20-11

Here are my selections from 11-20.

20. Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense – A live recording that is one of the greatest ever. Talking Heads was one of those bands that just went out and did their thing their way and didn’t care who dug it. I always marveled at the unique sound they were able to produce. On Stop Making Sense we hear a band at it’s absolute best, on stage, performing live. Sure, I enjoy the studio work they did but there is nothing like listening to David Byrne’s solo Psycho Killer.

19. Red Hot Chili Peppers, Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magik – In 1991 the Chili Peppers came out with their disc that finally put them into the mainstream’s consciences. With the single Under the Bridge they finally arrived. Thankfully I had already been a fan for a while. I remember the day it came out, I got it, put it in and loved it instantly. A funky, good time in which the band jelled to make a wonderful record. So much greatness contained that I cannot pick my favorite tracks. Just do me a favor, put it in, listen to it and get that Dave Matthews crap out of your system.

18. The Police, Outlandos d’ Amour – The great Police will make my list a total of four times all together. Their debut record is simply brilliant. From the opening non-stop hooks of Next to You, to my favorite Police song of all time, So Lonley this album is beyond words. This was when the Police were still trying to figure out if they were a punk band or not. I guess they realized that while punk is a great style they could do something a little less constraing musically. So, this still has some punk tendencies on it but even if you are not a fan of that genre, you will still enjoy this record.

17. The Flaming Lips, Transmissons From The Satellite Heart – Rarely, has a record of which I knew nothing of moved me more upon my first listen. As soon as I heard it I loved it. Infectious, original, different, unique and catchy, this disc is one for the ages. I’ve jammed to it on a consistent basis for over ten years now. I will always applaud originality in music and The Lips are defiantly their own band. They never found the audience on mainstream radio, (save for their minor hit, She Don’t Use Jelly) yet they have maintained a solid cult following. Give it whirl one day and stick with it. You will not be disappointed.

16. Led Zeppelin, Zeppelin IV – Yes, I know it has been overplayed. Yes, I realize this is a safe choice, and yes, I understand that classic rock stations have jammed this one down your throat for eons. With that said it is still an amazing record. If you want balls to the walls rock, you’ve got it. If you want to slow it down you can. This is just four guys who had two unbelievable musicians in Page and Bonham who went out and put out a timeless record that will never be duplicated.

15. Van Halen, Van Halen I – To me one of the greatest hard rock records ever recorded. For the first time we hear the guitar genius of Eddie Van Halen. Sure, the band became beyond lame in its later years but on their debut record they were out there rocking their ass off. A record that if you grew up in the 80’s you know by heart and were issued a copy. Every kid who picked up an axe in the decade did so thanks to this album. It influenced a ton of knock off posers and cover bands. If you want to remember when they had balls put it in and erase Right Now from your memory.

14. Peter Gabriel, Gabriel 3 – The quintessential Gabriel disc. Sometimes referred to as the Melt record, it is perfect. There is nothing not to love on it. I must admit I didn’t get turned on to Gabriel until my late teens but as soon as I did, I was hooked. On 3, you will find for my money his best solo work. A masterpiece of music that takes you and literally changes you. I saw the genius of Gabriel live in of all places the crappy Rosemont Horizon and it still goes down as the greatest live performance I’ve ever seen. They guy is a brilliant musician who has never jumped the shark all these years later.

13. AC/DC, Back In Black – It’s funny as I am a much bigger Bon Scott fan than a Brian Johnson guy. Yet, I find Back In Black to be the zenith of the AC/DC library. While Highway to Hell, Dirty Deeds, and High Voltage are all quality records, BIB, is where it all comes together. From the opening gongs of Hell’s Bell’s to the pulsating Shoot to Thrill and all the way to Rock and Roll ain’t Noise Pollution, you get your dose of rocking. If you want to get into this band this is a great starting off point.

12. The Beatles, Abbey Road – Many Beatles fans I know consider this to be their best. I can certainly see why one would say that. This is of course the last full Beatles record and showing just how great they were they released it at their end. Most bands stay around to long and the end of their discography is littered with crap, not the Beatles. On Abbey Road the foursome create a disc that has a little bit of everything. At times psychedelic and at other times silly it is a classic for the ages.

11. The Sex Pistol’s – Never Mind The Bollocks – Released in 1977 the Sex Pistol’s Never Mind the Bollocks came out and spit in the face of everything. Three chords of anger, venom and energy that took on everything and changed perceptions. Maybe others were doing punk before them, but few had the impact that record had. Johnny Rotten’s angry vocals permeate through out this classic. Like it or hate it you will be hard pressed to find a disc that has influenced more people.

5 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

There are Roth fans and Hager fans (there are no Gary what's-his-name Halen fans and if there are they need to go away), and I am a Roth era Van Halen fan. Now, you can break that down into other sub-categories: early Roth, middle or later. There are those who love the first two records best. There are those who think Women and Children First and Fair Warning to be the best. There are Diver Down/1984 fanatics. I am definitely a mid-era Roth nut.

Women and Children First is an underrated Halen record that gets better with age ("Take Your Whiskey Home"- awesome blues rock; "Tora Tora!/Loss of Control"- bizarre jams; "Romeo Delight"- the greatest Halen chorus: "I'm taking whiskey to the party tonight and I'm looking for somebody to squeeze"), and Fair Warning is a goddamn masterpiece ("Mean Streets", "Sinner's Swing", "Unchained", "Push Comes to Shove"- all classics). This is where they evolved from a damn good party band to a perfect rock machine, all with the brilliant production of Ted Templeman. 2 more good records followed, but they never topped those middle records.

Then Dave left and it all went to the dogs.

Anyway. You know how I love The Police and the Talking Heads, so expect no arguments here. I'm hoping Slayer makes the top ten.

8:07 AM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

I agree with your assesment about Fair Warning and Unchained may be my favorite Halen song. I still prefer Halen I but you can't go wrong with either.

Sadly, I never really got into Slayer. Sure, I find them interesting but it seems like all speed no heart.

3:46 PM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

Dude, I hate to say it, but "Octopus' Garden" is lame.

4:41 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

To each their own. I am a Ringo fan and while Octopus Garden is not the greatest song ever written it is a silly little fun song that does not hurt. There are far worse musical crimes out there than this littel tune.

10:47 AM  
Blogger ZombieDante said...

True. "Don't pass me by" is a hell of a lot worse.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home