Thursday, May 12, 2005

Nick's Top 50: 50-41

With nothing else to talk about I thought I would start some arguments by listing my top 50 Discs of all time. So, for the next 5 weeks, I will update this site with ten of the 50. It took me a long time to come up with this list and I worked on it for a couple of months. I put some thought into it, so on that note here are numbers 50-41

50. Tenacious D – The self-titled masterpiece cracks Nick’s top 50. Musical nirvana it is not, however it is hilarious. I fell in love with the D, a couple of years ago and I’ve been obsessed ever since. Jack and Kyle are making a Tenacious D movie this summer and I am pitching a tent over the news.

49. Metalica, And Justice For All – I am not a huge Metailca fan. As a matter of fact I hate this band for what they did to Napster. Since this disc they have put out nothing but crap. With that said, one cannot dismiss And Justice For All. From begging to end it rocks the metal. Sure, many Metalica fans will tell you Kill Em’ All or Master of Puppets are a little better, but I respectfully disagree. This is when the band hit its peak.

48. Green Day, Dookie – All right, I know I will get nuked for this one by all the haters. I know they are corporate punk. I know that they cannot hold a candle to the Romanes, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, or The Descendents. I have heard it all before. All I can say is that one judge this disc on it’s own merit. It is a fun little disc that does not take itself to seriously. I guess if a punk band sells records than they must have sold out. That is pure bullshit. This is Green Day’s best disc but American Idiot is a very close second.

47. Guns and Roses, Appetite For Destruction - This is one of those discs that many dismissed at the time, however it has withstood the test. Sure it was overplayed and Axel Rose is a tool, but G N’ R rocked for their short existence. I celebrate the entire catalog however their first record is their best. I cold listen to Mr. Brownstone every day and never get sick of it.

46. Genesis, Abacab - The only quality post Peter Gabriel disc the band produced. This was just before Phil Collins completely ruined Genesis. Abacab, had Phil Collins, Tony Banks and Mile Rutherford blend together to make a quality record. The title track alone is worth the price but The Man on The Corner is a hidden gem on this one. It was sad what happened to Genesis in its later years so, enjoy this one and remember what a great band they once were.

45. Snoop Doggy Dog, Doggiestyle – Snoop, with the dog pound right behind him, just goes off on this rap classic. Sure there have been better rap discs and many more had much more positive things to say. However, Snoop’s infectious lyrics and rapid fire raping make this a guilty pleasure. Gin and Juice, is in Nick’s top 5 rap songs ever written. Just a great disc that still gets regular play when I am in my Truck.

44. The Police, Zenyaota Mondada – I am a huge Police fan and this is just one in the many great records that they put out. A lot of hard-core Police fans dismiss this one, but I have a soft spot for it. It is a little more popish than earlier works but, it still has that sensibility the band always strived for. It has some silliness to it, it gets dark and holds up after all this time.

43. Franz Ferdinand, Franz Ferdinand – A newer disc to be sure and I put a lot of thought into this one, but I think this record deserves it. I have not been this excited over a CD since the early 90’s. After I had written off all new music as recycled teen angst or Lolita’s yammering away about getting laid, I found this disc. Beautiful music that gets my motor running. I am thankful for having the luxury of hearing it. That is how much I dig this disc. Time will only tell but I believe this one has lasting power.

42. Billy Joel, The Stranger – It is hard to believe the same man who made this beautiful record also made Uptown Girl. I have long contended that Billy Joel was abducted by aliens in 1980 and turned him into the hack that he is today. There is no other way to explain the vast difference in works like the Stranger and We Didn’t Start the Fire.

41. Peter Gabriel, Security – To anyone who knows me they know that I believe that this man is a genius. Security is not his greatest record but never the less it is still a masterpiece. I Have the Touch, Shock the Monkey, Lay Your Hands On Me, just incredible. This was a record released when he was just firing on all cylinders and I am thankful for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger ZombieDante said...

Nick,

I usually go for the Cliff Burton era Metallica, but I will admit And Justice for All… does have some good cuts. Personally I think they had their heads up their asses when they decided to make it a double album (they could have cut 2 or 3 of those 8 minute songs), but it still sounds better than anything they have done since then (Load being the biggest offender). The only better Newsted era record is the original, impossible to find Garage Days Re-Revisited EP. You can find it compiled on a newer CD along with lame covers of “Turn the Page” and so forth, but it is not the same to me. Early Metallic covered Misfits song. Later era Metallica covered Bob and Silver Bullet Band. Call me crazy but I don’t want to hear my metal gods singing about being up on the stage, playing star again. Of course, Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightening are still my favorites.

And I hate Green Day, but you addressed my complaints in your post.

Gabriel is a genius, the “Melt” record being my favorite, and Billy Joel was indeed abducted by aliens, as he has never been the same since Nylon Curtain. Glass Houses is great. Innocent Man is terrible.

I am more of a Chronic fan myself, but “Gin and Juice” is great stuff. And I get shit from Police fans all the time for thinking so highly of Ghost in the Machine. So I feel your pain.

4:55 PM  
Blogger 10withmop said...

Ghost in the Machine is one of those records that I had to re-discover. I always said it was my least favorite Police album. Than one day out of pure boredom I put it in and re-listened to it. Other than Every Little Thing, which was released so, they a radio single, I found myself getting into it.

It is a darker Police album to be sure yet when judged on it's own merit (as opposed to comparing it to earlier works) it is pretty damn good. All of this just makes me hate Sting all that much more for what he has become.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home