Thursday, May 26, 2005

Nick's Top 50: 30-21

Here we go with selections 30-21.

30. Prince, Purple Rain – I guess I’ve always kind of been a Prince fan. Sure he’s a shrink’s dream but he is also a damn fine musician when he is focused. After all of these years I still find Purple Rain his greatest accomplishment. You put this in and it still sounds good. From the blistering opening cut Let’s go Crazy to the title track’s mellow ending just sit back and enjoy the ride.

29. The Ramones, Rocket to Russia - It’s hard for me to pick one Ramones disc over any other, as I truly love this band. Their debut album just missed my cut for the top 50 but Rocket to Russia has to make the list, as it is my favorite Ramones album. While FM radio was boring us with over produced banality like, Kansas, The Cars, 38 Special Bad Company and Boston, the Ramones were out there simplifying things and making great music. On Rocket to Russia, the Ramones gave us the infectious Teenage Lobotomy and the classic Sheena is a Punk Rocker. If you’ve never gotten into the Ramones and are a fan of legitimate punk music please go out and take a chance on this one.

28. The Police, Reggatta da Blanc - Another Police selection. A true masterpiece released when the Police were still kind of flying under the radar. With their second release the Police turned a little less punk and little more pop and came up with a treasure. Just sit back and revel in the fusion of three brilliant musicians. Bring on the Night, It’s All right for You and Message in Bottle still hold up. When I’m 80 years old and am wearing a diaper I will still have this disc in my regular rotation.

27. Pearl Jam, Ten – Never have I gone from loving a band to hating one just as quickly. Ten is a tour de force that knocks you out. It’s just too bad Pearl Jam was never able to back this one up. While I currently can not stand Eddie Vedor and this self important band, that can not take away the greatness of this record. From Once to Why Go Home to Jeremy it simply rocks and even after ten years still holds up. A great debut album and maybe the band shot it’s load on this one but, they sure shot good.

26. Steely Dan, Aja – Seven tracks is all that this record had and each one is a treasure. From Deacon Blues to I’ve Got the News to Josie a great disc. Two musical geeks who have a blast making a great record. Fagan and Becker were never better than they were here. They were one of the ultimate studio bands of all time and in Aja they made a short sweet record that fused jazz and rock to perfection.

25. Boz Scaggs, Silk Degrees – I love this record. It is a guilty pleasure and one that I readily admit to. Just a groovy disc that you will have to fight yourself not to sing along with. I could listen to Lowdown and never get tired of that bass line. Or the sweet tenderness in Georgia. It sucks you in and you revel in it. In his later years Boz never approached the greatness of Silk Degrees but never stopped putting out quality music. Be it Jazz, Blues, Soul, Rock, he could do it all.

24. Rolling Stones, Let It Bleed - In my mind the greatest Stones record. There is no doubt about the Rolling Stones place in the history of Rock and Roll. The main issue I have with them is that their records are very un-even. Let It Bleed for my money is their most complete disc. While it only has nine tracks there is not a bad one in the bunch. From the great guitar work on Gimme Shelter to the addictive grove on Monkey Man you can’t go wrong slipping this one in the CD player.

23. Nirvana In Utero – The forgotten Nirvana disc. Lost in the brilliance of Nevermind and Cobain’s death was In Utero. A record that in it’s own right is brilliant. The anger of Rape Me, the subtle lyrics of Pennyroyal Tea and the self-mocking of Dumb. A record that showed once and for all who was the greatest Seattle band of the grunge era. To think it was released twelve years ago already and yet it still sounds great.

22. Living Colour, Vivid – A disc I fell in love with in 1989 and am still amorous with today. A record that took me by the balls, grabbed me and squeezed. I heard Cult of Personality on MTV and really liked it. Than, a friend went out and bought tickets to see them based on that one song. I was offered a ticket so, I figured I better buy the album so I would recognize some of the shit I was about to hear. I put it in and was instantly hooked.

21. The Who, Who’s Next - Just a great record. A true rock and roll classic. I love it so much I am not sure where to begin. First off you have one of the greatest openings in history with Baba O’Riley. Then you sit back and take the ride all the way to Behind Blue Eyes. Pete Townsend is one of those rare musical Gods and here again he blows me away. Released right when the band was hitting its peak, it is a record that if you don’t own and you call yourself a fan of rock and or roll you should be ashamed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home