Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A Day In A Life

Here is how my day went yesterday.

6:05 AM – Alarm goes off, I get up take a leak, grab a towel and head to the shower, get dressed and wait for Joyce.

6:50 AM – We get into the car and head off to the train station.

7:15 AM – Get on to the train at the Worth station and head downtown.

7:53 AM – After having to sit through some bimbo’s misguided Republican rant in the seat behind me, I arrive downtown and walk to work.

8:05 AM – After purchasing a Banana nut muffin from the Farmer’s Market located in the Federal Plaza I walk into the office.

8:15 AM – I down the muffin and check my voice and E-mail. I also check to see what tickets are sitting in my queue as I try to get a handle on what my day will be like.

8:33 AM – I head off to see my first client of the day. It seems his Blackberry, (a wireless device that stores e-mails and a calendar) has stopped working. I fight the device for a while and get it working eventually.

9:00 AM – I go to see my next client who also is having a Blackberry issue. Her problem is user error so I am able to fix it rather quickly.

9:10 AM- For my next stop I go to see one of those clients who I consider one of my “special users.” Meaning, he’s a complete dick and pain in the ass. I am in luck as he has to go off to a meeting and leaves me at his desk to fix his e-mail problem. Again, it is mostly user error and I am on in my way rather quickly.

9:30 AM- I head back to my desk, as I have to make some phone calls. I call a guy in New York about some issues in Chicago and then I call my Insurance agent to discuss my flood insurance.

9:45 AM- I IM my friend Chuck to see what we are doing for lunch and we decide on Venice Café.

9:52 AM – I go and pick up a pc that I need to re-image. Meaning, I need to wipe it clean and re-build it from scratch. I start the process and while the files are loading, I head off to see another client.

10:25 AM – I head to see a guy who cannot print. I fiddle around and fix his issue rather quickly.

10:40 AM – I head back to my desk and finish up the machine I re-imaged. I fart around checking e-mails.

11:15 AM – I arrive at Venice Café and enjoy a lunch with the rest of my crew. I get the special sandwich of the day, which is a beef and Italian Sausage combo.

12:15 PM – I arrive back at my desk with my stomach filled.

12:30 PM – I close out some tickets, post my latest blog, and check to see what place I have gotten to in my Baseball league.

12:45 PM – I head up to see another client with yet another Blackberry issue. It is at this point the combo I had just consumed is heading due south and I need to make a deposit.

12:50 PM – I tell the client I need to retrieve some information from my desk when really I run to the john and drop the kids off at the pool.

1:05 PM – I go back to the client with the Blackberry issue and resolve it for him.

1:15 PM – I head over to a client’s desk to check on a bitch of a problem he is having involving this in-house software. I am there for a while.

1:50 PM - I finally give up and go to my desk to see if anyone on my team has ever dealt with this problem.

2:12 PM – I find a fix for it from another co-worker. In return he needs my help setting up a digital sender.

2:35 PM – I head upstairs with my co-worker and help him setup the sender.

3:10 PM – After we setup the sends I head to my desk and find a different co-worker who needs help taking some old equipment to our dumping area. So, I accompany her and load monitor after monitor into the abyss.

4:00 PM – At long last I head to my desk to close out my calls, check some e-mail, and IM with some friends.

4:30 PM- I hit the head, and take off for the train station.

4:44 PM – I arrive back at Union and find my usual seat. I BS with Chuck, Dell all the while Joyce silently makes fun of our meaningless conversations.

5:41 PM – The train arrives at Worth and Joyce and I hop in the car and head home.

5: 50 PM – Get home check the mail, check my yahoo mail and Joyce and I get into it over where to eat. We are both to pooped to cook so it being a Tuesday we decide to order from Nick’s, which has a Tuesday two for one. I get the chicken parm, and the wife gets baked spaghetti.

6:35 PM - I leave to go pick up the food.

6:55 PM – I return with the food. We eat.

7:00 PM – While eating much to my chagrin Joyce decides to catch American Idol. Since I’d rather walk on coals I tell her I am going to run to Home Depot to get some water for our dispenser.

7:40 PM – I arrive at the depot and make the transaction. I make sure to take the long way home to make sure I get home after Idol is over.

8:05 PM – I arrive back home to catch Joyce watching Elf. I head upstairs and put on the Cubs game.

9:00 PM – Joyce asks if we can switch as she would rather be upstairs so, I agree. I than head to the fridge and grab a scoop of ice cream.

9:43 PM – Much to my delight Ryan Dempster nails down a Cubs victory. Joyce hears my applause all the way upstairs.

10:00 PM – I channel surf until 10 when the Simpsons comes on. I than grab a bag of already opened Pork rinds and unwind with my favorite show.

10:40ish – I fall asleep on the couch watching Howard Stern on E!. At some point in the middle of the night I get up take a leak and head to bed.


2 Comments:

Blogger joyceakajocelyn said...

...of Nick the computer guy and his wife"

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nicholas, do not "get into it" with Joyce over where to eat....wherever she wants to eat so be it.

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home